Update Manager SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Update Manager SOLVED

Post by enjohn »

I am having problems with downloads via Update Manager. I keep getting "An error occurred" message. I have attached images of two reports in the hope that someone will be able to tell me what may be wrong. Being a complete novice, I'm unable to understand the reports. Some help, please. Thank you
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-05-18 18-17-30.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-18 17-35-06.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Update Manager

Post by zcot »

Hi enjohn,

the update system is trying to read the software sources available in order to retrieve the current package lists to find out what packages you could need as updates, but there is duplicated lines in the additional-repositories file.

show the content of that file from the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ location, <-you can copy/paste that into the file manager to get there easily. Open that additional-repositories.list file and paste the info here. If you see a google-chrome.list file also then show that info too.

ps. instead of uploading files in a post, just paste the actual log or error messages or text into the post, it makes it just very direct and effortless on both parties. ;)
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

zcot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:18 pm Hi enjohn,

the update system is trying to read the software sources available in order to retrieve the current package lists to find out what packages you could need as updates, but there is duplicated lines in the additional-repositories file.

show the content of that file from the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ location, <-you can copy/paste that into the file manager to get there easily. Open that additional-repositories.list file and paste the info here. If you see a google-chrome.list file also then show that info too.

ps. instead of uploading files in a post, just paste the actual log or error messages or text into the post, it makes it just very direct and effortless on both parties. ;)
Okay, thanks for the tip on attachments. I'm sorry, but I am feeling very thick - I cannot work out where the file manager is! :(
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

You could just open the main menu, the icon at lower left, start typing file manager. ;)

By default there are 4 icons beside the main menu button there, and one of them is the file manager. One is Firefox, the black square is terminal. You can probably hover on the icon and it might give you some pop-up info about each.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Another way to do the same thing:
- open Software Sources (it's in the main menu under Adminstration)
- from the buttons on the left, open the Maintenance tab
- on that tab, find the button called 'Remove duplicate entries'.

sources.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Moem wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:21 pmAnother way
Ha! Mmm, totally forgot about that addition. :oops:
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Great - thank you both. The software sources were easy to find! I've removed the duplicates! I assume that the next batch of updates should now work? Should it happen again, should I follow the same method? I only have 3 buttons next to the menu.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

enjohn wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:07 pm Great - thank you both. The software sources were easy to find! I've removed the duplicates! I assume that the next batch of updates should now work?
I would expect so.
Should it happen again, should I follow the same method?
I would. It can't hurt to try. But it will only happen again if you fumble while trying to install a piece of software that is not in the Software Manager.
That is how you got the duplicate entries. It happens a lot.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

enjohn wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:07 pm I only have 3 buttons next to the menu.
At installation you should have had four: Desktop, Files, Firefox, Terminal.
Perhaps you removed one and don't recall. Did you uninstall Firefox?

Cuz, if it's not one of those things, I'd be concerned the installation was faulty.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

I wasn't sure what the 4 buttons were I was looking for! I haven't uninstalled Firefox, but I did change its position on the panel.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Unfortunately, I have just had the same or similar issue. Whilst attempting to download a new update, via Update Manager, I've received another error! I followed the same procedure as before. When I clicked on "Remove Duplicates" I received the message "No Duplicates Found". I am unable to update anything at the moment. Every time I receive the same error message. Any ideas, please?

Code: Select all

W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list:3
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list:3
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list:3
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list:3
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list:3
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

delete either line 1 from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list or line 3 from etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

djph wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:56 pm delete either line 1 from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list or line 3 from etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
Thanks for your reply. Where do I find these lines to delete? Apologies - total novice. :(
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

In the files named in the error ... the full path was given.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

I've been trying most of the day to find these files so that I can delete the lines advised. I have tried everything I could from various articles and videos. I tried in the File Manager and Terminal without success. Although I did find one of the files in Terminal, I couldn't work out how to delete the line. I would appreciate a more detailed explanation when anyone has the time. Thanks in advance. Off to bed now, with a headache. :roll:
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

zcot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:18 pm ...

I'm gonna repeat the same thing as above, using a different method, a little bit more manual, and maybe obvious:
1. open the file manager
zcot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:09 pm You could just open the main menu, the icon at lower left, start typing file manager. ;)
2. Click on the left pane where it says "File System"
3. Open the folder on the right that says etc
4. open the folder that says apt
5. open the folder that says sources.list.d
6. there you are able to see the 2 interesting files that need to be addressed.

You want to show us the contents of those 2 files we've been talking about.

OR, if you can open both of them and see that there is obvious duplication in one or both files, then you can do as djph suggested and edit them yourself, one one is needed. The assumption is that both files contain exactly the same line as each other. However you are fine to post the contents of both here and one of us will give an exact suggestion. I would suggest that removing the line from the additional-repositories file would be a more appropriate edit, as opposed to removing the line from the google-chrome file, which would make that basically a useless file. But functionality-wise, the end result is the same.

If you did want to go ahead and edit them, one, or the other, you need to have elevated permission to do so. One method is by using right-click methods in the file manager and you will be able to get the opportunity to use "Open as Root" on each file, this will give you the elevated permission to do so.

Or you can copy/paste the following 2 lines, one-at-a-time, using the terminal, it will open the file nicely for you, with permission, and you can edit it with the same easy visual Xed text editor.

xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list

xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
Looking for the terminal application, the black square icon beside the main menu at the lower left, or just enter the main menu and start typing "term i n ...".
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Hey! That's exactly how I need a process like this explained. Particularly at my current Linux absolute beginner/novice level. Thank you for taking the time with your explanation. I have only just woken up, after quite a bad night. I will work through this later on this morning. Thanks again. :)
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

zcot wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:34 pm
zcot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:18 pm ...

I'm gonna repeat the same thing as above, using a different method, a little bit more manual, and maybe obvious:
1. open the file manager
zcot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:09 pm You could just open the main menu, the icon at lower left, start typing file manager. ;)
2. Click on the left pane where it says "File System"
3. Open the folder on the right that says etc
4. open the folder that says apt
5. open the folder that says sources.list.d
6. there you are able to see the 2 interesting files that need to be addressed.

You want to show us the contents of those 2 files we've been talking about.

OR, if you can open both of them and see that there is obvious duplication in one or both files, then you can do as djph suggested and edit them yourself, one one is needed. The assumption is that both files contain exactly the same line as each other. However you are fine to post the contents of both here and one of us will give an exact suggestion. I would suggest that removing the line from the additional-repositories file would be a more appropriate edit, as opposed to removing the line from the google-chrome file, which would make that basically a useless file. But functionality-wise, the end result is the same.

If you did want to go ahead and edit them, one, or the other, you need to have elevated permission to do so. One method is by using right-click methods in the file manager and you will be able to get the opportunity to use "Open as Root" on each file, this will give you the elevated permission to do so.

Or you can copy/paste the following 2 lines, one-at-a-time, using the terminal, it will open the file nicely for you, with permission, and you can edit it with the same easy visual Xed text editor.

xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list

xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
Looking for the terminal application, the black square icon beside the main menu at the lower left, or just enter the main menu and start typing "term i n ...".
I wasn't sure how to actually delete which line, so I have listed all the files below.

[Additional-repositories.list]
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

[google-chrome.list]
### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
# You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
deb [arch=amd64] https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

[official-package-repositories.list]
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com una main upstream import backport

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner

I also tried the terminal route, again wasn't really sure what I was doing and didn't want to break it.
[Terminal]
enjohn@Office:~$ xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
** (xed:11594): WARNING **: 13:59:46.493: The specified location is not mounted

enjohn@Office:~$ xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
** (xed:12036): WARNING **: 14:15:46.940: The specified location is not mounted
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Having both of those files is not a problem, only that the google-chrome line should not exist in both.

The additional-repositories.list file, not to be confused with Additional-repositories.list, could be empty and this is not a problem.

For me, and because this is the way that the google-chrome source configures this setup, I would just keep the configuration in the default google-chrome.list file and delete the duplicate in the other file.

The additional-repositories.list file is not required. It can be used to specify other repository entries. Any other .list file could also be used, the system will just read any available .list file in that folder/directory and try to use it.

The quickest/easiest fix for this setup, because you are not using other entries, and the edit would just make the file empty, would be to simply delete the additional-repositories.list file.

copy/paste terminal command to remove that file, using the required elevated permission. sudo will elevate, rm is the remove command, and the specific path and filename are the target:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Thank you for the information. I have done as you suggested and the additional-repositories.list has been removed. Do I need to do anything else at this point? Currently, I do not have updates that need downloading. Do I wait for them to show up, or is there a way I can run some sort of test to see if it has solved my issue?

Return to “Beginner Questions”