Mount disk on live session

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moriss
Level 1
Level 1

Mount disk on live session

Post by Moriss »

Hi!

I'm running a linux mint in a live session and I need to check which partition should I format and which not.

To decide that, I need to browse the files into the partitions that I have, for my surprise this is harder than it seems for me.

First question, How can I mount the disks?

lsblk shows:

sda
|-> sda1
|-> sda2
|-> sda3

I can't mount those partitions.

Also, what is the root password on a live session ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mount disk on live session

Post by pbear »

Usually, mounting a partition is a simple as clicking it in the left pane of File Manager. Alternatively, you can mount with the Disks app, available on Menu. These are ordinary partitions, right? Not encrypted.

There is no password in a live session. sudo and admin apps like GParted run without one. The user is mint, by the way. Anyhoo, any time you are prompted for a password in a live session, simply hitting Enter should work
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I assume 'root' doesn't have a password and is locked, as it is by default when you install Ubuntu-based distributions.

Since you showed terminal output, I'll guess that you'd be willing to learn a couple of common terminal approaches, so here is how I mount devices:

Code: Select all

udisksctl mount -b NAME
Where NAME is a valid block device name (IE: '/dev/sda2'). The -b flag tells udisksctl(1) to work on a block device. The udisksctl(1) tool is part of Udisks2, allowing you to, among other things, mount filesystems without needing 'root' access, provided policies for PolKit are set up properly, which they are by default in most Ubuntu-based distributions.

Another method, which is more for temporary and more particular situations, is:

sudo mount NAME MOUNTPOINT
Once again, NAME is the block device name. The MOUNTPOINT is the directory over which to mount the filesystem. Note that 'root' access is typically (although not always necessarily) needed to perform mount operations with mount(8), hence the use of sudo(8).

To determine the correct device, you might also like this one-liner:

lsblk -o name,label,fstype,size,uuid,mountpoint
As for the GUI approach, the other poster pretty much covered that. :)

The 'sd' means storage device, AFAIK. So, keep in mind that '/dev/sda', for example, refers to storage device 'a', not any specific partition on that device, where a partition is referenced with a number. For example, '/dev/sdb2' refers to the 2nd partition on storage device 'b'. This isn't the only naming scheme out there for Linux, but it's by far the most common.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Moriss wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:25 pm I can't mount those partitions.
Why?
Moriss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moriss »

Thanks guys!

I just realized that I started the live session with an option OEM installer or something like that and in that session, I wasn't allowed to mount disks, I think that is because is for manufacturers to install into a new computer.

So, I just started with regular settings, and the disks were mounted.

Thanks!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Glad you got it sorted. Interesting about OEM mode not having a proper live session. Hadn't known that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”