Ultrawide Monitor Window Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gunthrek
Level 1
Level 1

Ultrawide Monitor Window Manager

Post by gunthrek »

Greetings!

Due to certain things going on in the world right now, I can no longer support Microsoft, and I have decided to permanently make the switch from Windows to Linux. I've gotten just about everything set up, including getting my Steam set up to play my Windows games and getting all my recording software set up. Seems like everything should work just like it did on Windows.

The last piece of the puzzle for me right now is finding a way of snapping windows in a way that allows me to have my ultra-wide monitor split into three even parts. I had a program from Asus on Windows that allowed me to set up "zones" that I could just drag the windows to, and I'm hoping to find a Linux equivalent. Nothing I've found so far seems to have that ability, or more likely I'm just not familiar enough with Linux to figure out how to make them work. I find I'm the most productive when I have access to three windows at a time, and I don't want to have to manually fiddle with them every time.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ultrawide Monitor Window Manager

Post by GELvdH »

I don't have an ultra-wide monitor only a standard 16 x 9 but I can set up one url in one window and shrink it to half my screen and than open another url and shrink that to the size of the other half. That way I can bounce between both windows.
gunthrek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunthrek »

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, though. It sounds like manual resizing?

What I'm looking for is software that sets up three equally sized zones on the screen that automatically resizes a window when I drag one inside it. I had a program over on my Windows installation that did this, so I'm hoping to find an option that works for Mint as well. It's the last of the things I need to get figured out to have my Linux installation working the way I'm used to.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

OK, if you click on the button between the ( - ) and the ( x ) on the top right of your browser you can resize the window. You can set up as many windows as you can fit on the screen and by placing your cursor inside any one window you can drag it anywhere. This will not automatically resize any window but it gives you the ability to display several windows simultaneously. Also if you have those windows open at the same time, with Thunderbird you can set it up to open those windows the next time you start.
gunthrek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunthrek »

I finally stumbled across a website that provides a simple solution: gTile. It doesn't automatically adjust just by dragging the window, but it does allow you to set up zones how you want and quickly and easily move a window to whatever zone you want. It's not perfectly like I'm used to, but it's certainly good enough. Thanks for the response!

Return to “Beginner Questions”