Any way to restore files deleted by windows ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lancelot
Level 1
Level 1

Any way to restore files deleted by windows ?

Post by Lancelot »

I'm using Linux Mint 20.3 cinnamon.
I've 2 internal HDDs of 500GB each.
Mint is installed on sda5, and windows 8.1 is on sda6.

I have my files on 2nd hdd --> sdb6 and sdb7 [both are in NTFS format]

While I was using mint, I checked that all of my files are their on sdb6 & sdb7.

I unmounted those drives (sdb6 & sdb7).

Booted Win 8.1.
Checked my files on sdb6 and sdb7.

sdb6 -- 5-6 folders which contained images & videos were deleted [~150GB]

sdb7-- 2 folders which contained videos and music files were deleted [~100GB]

Turned off win8.1 & booted on linux mint
The files mentioned above were missing when opened with Nemo. Checked with CLI and same result- files are missing

But when I checked with GParted, it is showing that the disk is full. Considering windows somehow deleted files of size 100 GB, the free space on disk should've increased but it's same before deleting.

This gave me hope that the files may be somewhere I can't find.

Question: Can I restore those files ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Any way to restore files deleted by windows ?

Post by djph »

If the disks are still showing usage, it might be that they files (etc) are in a trash directory ("recycle bin" in windows?)

attempting to recover deleted files with something like photorec or testdisk might be possible, but it's a longshot.

Honestly, the best way to recover accidentally deleted files is restoration from backup ...

Aside -- you did REMOUNT them, right? You're not just thinking the data is missing because the partitions simply weren't remounted in Linux?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Lancelot.

You might use a tool like e.g. photorec on Linux side in order to identify the deleted folders and files and restore them.
You might also use a corresponding tool on the Windows side in order to identify the deleted folders and files and restore them.

I wonder a bit whether the folder names, which you had still seen on Linux side, before they disappeared when booted into Windows, may have had characters, which can be used inside folder and filenames on Linux sie, but not on Windows side?

This once happened to me when I saved a file on an NTFS partition, which had a colon : in its filename. Linux did not complain. Windows never displayed the file. And when doing a chkdsk on the NTFS partition from Windows side, Windows considered the file a lost cluster and converted it into a "found0001.something" file. This was when my naming mistake occured to me.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Post by axrusar »

A few more suggestions..

1. Do image the mentioned partitions with missing folders/files to an external drive. So you can play over and over again in case you make mistakes.
2. Do not mount these partitions in windows anymore. Any single write operation on them can destroy the files you are looking for.
3. You can use Hiren's bootCD, it has many recovery utilities, you just need that 3rd disk to recover the files to. https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
If the files were deleted or really messed up, the recovery will bring files back but you may lose the filenames, folders and structure of the files, so try first to find them. They are not hidden right?
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics

Return to “Beginner Questions”