Getting error when installing Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arturdenis123
Level 1
Level 1

Getting error when installing Linux Mint

Post by arturdenis123 »

insomniacno1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:36 pm Device-1: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960
I'm also thinking of installing Linux on my laptop. Well, I've been struggling with installation and selection for 3-4 months now. 1) I don't know what to choose, I don't have enough RAM, only 2GB and I can't expand it. 2) When installing the same Linux Mint, I get a formatting error, saying that the installer cannot disconnect the cdrom disk (and this is my hard disk partition, in this section programs, photos, and so on). It's difficult somehow... With Windows, everything is much easier.

Moderator note: Post split from viewtopic.php?f=59&t=365191 which was a completely different issue even though it had the same graphics. (Linux Mint was already successfully installed.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Getting error when installing Linux Mint

Post by djph »

well, if it's saying there's an error attempting to format the harddrive; sounds like there might be other hardware issues beyond your lack of RAM.

What processor is in that thing?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

arturdenis123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:28 pm 1) I don't know what to choose
As you have tried to install a system, for which did you actually decide?
arturdenis123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:28 pm 2) When installing the same Linux Mint, I get a formatting error, saying that the installer cannot disconnect the cdrom disk (and this is my hard disk partition, in this section programs, photos, and so on).
What I formatted italic is not understandable. The cdrom is your hard drive? You can impossibly mean that, but what do you mean?
Additional question: At which point do you get the message?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

arturdenis123 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:28 pm It's difficult somehow... With Windows, everything is much easier.
Be fair. Windows makes hardware obsolete faster than Linux. That's why you're trying Linux, right? Cuz no current version of Windows will run on the machine?

Return to “Beginner Questions”