Changed my mind, I would like to now Encrypt hard drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
herculepirate
Level 2
Level 2

Changed my mind, I would like to now Encrypt hard drive

Post by herculepirate »

I have installed my Linux Mint 20.3 on 2 separate drives
Root and Home are on 2 separate hard drive.

The initial installation was done with NO ENCRYPTION of the HOME drive.
How do I now encrypt my home drive?
Is it possible ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Changed my mind, I would like to now Encrypt hard drive

Post by djph »

Reinstall.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

As I recall (never done myself), this is difficult. Be sure you have a good tutorial for that exact scenario before proceeding.

ETA: Digging through old notes, I found this post by Laurent85 describing a simple procedure using Disks. Never tried myself, but Laurent knows his stuff. See also tutorial linked in the post just before Laurent's.

Turns out, by the way, what I was remembering as being difficult is LVM-over-LUKS (also Laurent85).
Last edited by pbear on Sat May 21, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

you're encrypting not drive but partition in case of LUKS encryption or directory in case of encryptfs. The later is easy, there are old Ubuntu community tutorials. The former can be done by creating LUKS partition manually, copying Home to it and changing Home mount point. Indeed, reinstalling will be much simpler.
-=t42=-

Return to “Beginner Questions”