computer powers on after poweroff

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
quimbo
Level 1
Level 1

computer powers on after poweroff

Post by quimbo »

I use WOL to access this new linux mint pc I use remotely. I notice when I poweroff my PC for the first time of a session, my PC shuts down and powers back on. When I power it off a 2nd time, it always stays turned off.

I've gotten into a habit of remotely powering on the PC and then powering it off as soon as I login and when it powers back on again, I use that session and power it off when i'm done with it knowing it will stay powered off.

This issue didn't happen in ubuntu when I was testing this machine but I don't really want to use ubuntu if I don't have to here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: computer powers on after poweroff

Post by SMG »

quimbo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:39 pmThis issue didn't happen in ubuntu when I was testing this machine but I don't really want to use ubuntu if I don't have to here.
Welcome to the forum, quimbo.

I do not have any guesses why WOL would work differently with Linux Mint, but please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code tags and paste the results of the command between the code tags [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware and perhaps give us some ideas of what may be happening.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: computer powers on after poweroff

Post by djph »

probably an ACPI bug where it doesn't listen to the "halt" command. I've noticed that on a number of HP and Acer laptops over the years.

Return to “Beginner Questions”