Error Opening Directory Message SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Error Opening Directory Message SOLVED

Post by enjohn »

Hello. I have a 1TB HDD where I store my personal Data. I opened the drive to check the contents and received the following: Could not scan some of the folders contained in “/media/enjohn/Personal Data”
and also - Error opening directory '/media/enjohn/Personal Data/lost+found': Permission denied. Can someone tell me what I may have done?. I did take a screenshot of the drive if that will help. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Error Opening Directory Message

Post by rene »

Nothing's wrong; the lost+found thingy says you formatted the drive as ext4 and that Linux-native filesystem has proper support for UNIX-ownerships/permissions. That's then however also immediately to say that you will need to set those permissions correctly; to if you want to be able to access any given content on the filesystem as user "enjohn" rather than as user "root" / through sudo, that you will need to set permissions to allow for that.

lost+found should itself generally not need to be; if you were just "idly" checking things the answer can very well be that you should do nothing (other than understand that above UNIX ownership/permission concept). If you insist, you can in one fell swoop re-own all to "enjohn" with

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R enjohn: "/media/enjohn/Personal Data"
but should as said probably not do so; nothing's wrong as such, and certainly not when it's only lost+found that produced the message.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Error Opening Directory Message

Post by enjohn »

Okay - thanks. I think that as a real novice I will leave well alone. :?

Return to “Beginner Questions”