Mint boots into ubuntu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pizzavitdit
Level 1
Level 1

Mint boots into ubuntu

Post by pizzavitdit »

Hey, I installed Mint to Virtualbox and setted it up yesterday. I just booted into it today and wanted to test it because I did not like Windows very much and I was going to use Linux as a daily driver. I booted in, installed things like java, steam, discord and turned it off. And I booted in again but it gave an error and booted into ubuntu with my all data. How do I fix this problem and make it boot into Mint again? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ldcjmd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint boots into ubuntu

Post by ldcjmd »

Welcome! Please edit your question for clarity. "Mint" is a GNU/Linux distribution that is based-on "ubuntu"... so we cannot help you as-is. Your specific machine details ( inxi -F from a terminal ), and exactly what you mean by "installed into Virtualbox", would be a start...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Assumed, that Mint is installed as virtual machine, what is the OS of the host?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

pizzavitdit wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 am ... booted into ubuntu with my all data.
Do you mean it took you to the Ubuntu desktop? If not, what do you mean?
pizzavitdit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzavitdit »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:20 pm Assumed, that Mint is installed as virtual machine, what is the OS of the host?

Windows 11.
pizzavitdit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzavitdit »

pbear wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:04 pm
pizzavitdit wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 am ... booted into ubuntu with my all data.
Do you mean it took you to the Ubuntu desktop? If not, what do you mean?
Yeah. It took me to the Ubuntu desktop.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

We need as much information as possible. Single word or sentence answers won't help. I am out.
Good luck.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

pizzavitdit wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 am I booted in again but it gave an error
What error?
What is the guest OS precisely? "Mint" says not enough.

Your description tells us, that Mint was running fine at the beginning. Then you installed some things and things went wrong. I wonder why you installed Java, which already present by default. So there comes the question, what you really did.

Usually the answer would be to do a TimeShift restore. As on virtual systems this does mostly not get used, the alternative would be a snapshot in VB. If you did not create one, than forget this machine and create a new one. In only one day there cannot be much to loose.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

The Ubuntu Gnome desktop is available in repo but not installed by default. If you have it, you installed it.

In any event, I agree with Cosmo. Better to start over than try to figure out what went wrong.

Next time, I suggest you move in smaller steps and/or use snapshots as you test things.
pizzavitdit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzavitdit »

Cosmo. wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:28 pm
pizzavitdit wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 am I booted in again but it gave an error
What error?

Your description tells us, that Mint was running fine at the beginning. Then you installed some things and things went wrong. I wonder why you installed Java, which already present by default. So there comes the question, what you really did.

Usually the answer would be to do a TimeShift restore. As on virtual systems this does mostly not get used, the alternative would be a snapshot in VB. If you did not create one, than forget this machine and create a new one. In only one day there cannot be much to loose.
It said "Mint has crashed unexpactedly" and took me to the Ubuntu desktop.

I didn't know that Java was already packed in the OS so I still installed it.

I did not do anything much, tried games like Minecraft, Blastronaut to test if the OS is good for basic gaming.
Last edited by pizzavitdit on Wed May 25, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
pizzavitdit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzavitdit »

pbear wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:48 pm The Ubuntu Gnome desktop is available in repo but not installed by default. If you have it, you installed it.

In any event, I agree with Cosmo. Better to start over than try to figure out what went wrong.

Next time, I suggest you move in smaller steps and/or use snapshots as you test things.
No, I didn't install the Ubuntu Gnome desktop. It just litterally took me to the classic Ubuntu with all the Ubuntu programs but with the Mint wallpaper.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

Post the outcome of the command, so the forum will have more info of your system

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

pizzavitdit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 am No, I didn't install the Ubuntu Gnome desktop. It just litterally took me to the classic Ubuntu with all the Ubuntu programs but with the Mint wallpaper.
Funny, I've done dozens of installs of Mint to VBox without running into that issue.

Anyhoo, I've already said what I think you should do. Your choice. Good luck.
pizzavitdit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzavitdit »

pbear wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 am
pizzavitdit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 am No, I didn't install the Ubuntu Gnome desktop. It just litterally took me to the classic Ubuntu with all the Ubuntu programs but with the Mint wallpaper.
Funny, I've done dozens of installs of Mint to VBox without running into that issue.

Anyhoo, I've already said what I think you should do. Your choice. Good luck.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

pizzavitdit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 am
What error?
You left 3 questions unanswered:
1. The error message you received
2. The host OS
3. The version of the Mint OS

You can leave this all unanswered and install the virtual machine new. It is the easiest way.
pizzavitdit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzavitdit »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:22 pm
pizzavitdit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 am

What error?
You left 3 questions unanswered:
1. The error message you received
2. The host OS
3. The version of the Mint OS

You can leave this all unanswered and install the virtual machine new. It is the easiest way.
I answered all of them but the third one, please check the answers i wrote carefully again.
The version of the Mint OS: It needs to be 20.2
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Don't think it's important in this particular case, but when someone asks what version of Mint you're trying to install, they mean both version and desktop. And standard procedure, as has been pointed out twice, is to post a full inxi report. Frankly, should have been in the OP, as instructed in the "how to get help" sticky at the top of every page on the Forum.

We're not the only Linux forum with these expectations. No matter where you go, people won't be able to help without facts.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

pizzavitdit wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:32 am The version of the Mint OS: It needs to be 20.2
A strange version specification; I didn't ask, what it needs to be, but what it is.
I will not try to retrieve, whether the asked information is given in a complete and clear way. If I demand too much to answer clear questions with clear answers, than I will no longer bother the questioner with more precise information. I don't play quiz games.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Since we are left to guess, I'll make some assumptions here - - correct or not:

1. You have installed Mint 20.3 XFCE version
2. When you logged in, you were reverted to the "generic" non-Mint customized desktop. This is not actually Ubuntu, but is still Mint XFCE
3. Your question is actually "how can I get my XFCE Mint-customized desktop to come back?"

To do this, you'll need to open a terminal and type the following commands:

xfce4-panel --quit
pkill xfconfd
rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel
rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
xfce4-panel 
EDIT: You may need to log out/log back in for the changes to take effect.

I don't know why this happens to XFCE occasionally, but it is annoyingly frustrating. Fortunately, this seems to fix it quite nicely - at least for me?

In the future, it would be most helpful if you'd learn to post your inxi report. as well as un-obfuscated answers. We're happy to help, but we can't see your computer or know what your concern may be without clear details. Providing clear & direct info goes a long way in getting answers quickly. ;)
pizzavitdit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pizzavitdit »

ralplpcr wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:34 am Since we are left to guess, I'll make some assumptions here - - correct or not:

1. You have installed Mint 20.3 XFCE version
2. When you logged in, you were reverted to the "generic" non-Mint customized desktop. This is not actually Ubuntu, but is still Mint XFCE
3. Your question is actually "how can I get my XFCE Mint-customized desktop to come back?"

To do this, you'll need to open a terminal and type the following commands:

xfce4-panel --quit
pkill xfconfd
rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel
rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
xfce4-panel 
EDIT: You may need to log out/log back in for the changes to take effect.

I don't know why this happens to XFCE occasionally, but it is annoyingly frustrating. Fortunately, this seems to fix it quite nicely - at least for me?

In the future, it would be most helpful if you'd learn to post your inxi report. as well as un-obfuscated answers. We're happy to help, but we can't see your computer or know what your concern may be without clear details. Providing clear & direct info goes a long way in getting answers quickly. ;)
I did install Zorin OS last 2 day so I don't think I will be able to test this. But still thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”