[SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint 20.3 on a Dell Inspiron 5676 with Secure Boot.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing Linux Mint on a used computer with AMD hardware.

Post by Mint Leaf »

SMG wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:54 pm
Mint Leaf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:12 pmThank you for looking for another tutorial, I appreciate it.
The person in this video Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon Install (UEFI) created his partitions (one for EFI and one for the Mint OS) using GParted (it's on the ISO) before he did the install. He then uses the "Something Else" option and specifies which partition to use for EFI and which one to use for the operating system. To me, this video was a bit harder to see and did not have as much explanation as the one which is now private, so let us know if you have questions. (I am off to bed now and will not have time until tomorrow to try and find and evaluate more videos.)

You will want to partition your drive GPT. This link What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive? was linked in the prior article, but in case you had not yet seen it, I'm mentioning it now. I recommend doing the partitioning and formatting before starting the install.
Thank you for your patience, this is all new territory for me so I'm trying to be as careful as possible.

After watching the video I do have a question but I thought I should mention first that I just tried to turn off "Fast Boot" in the BIOS and I may have run into a problem, there are only 3 options and none of them are off:

Code: Select all

Thorough
Minimal
Auto
It is currently set to Minimal.

The question I have about the video tutorial is at 1:07 the person installing mint creates a 512.00MB FAT32 partition.

Would it be better if I partitioned the entire drive using the EXT4 file system instead?

My understanding was that EXT4 has advantages over FAT32, but the small size of the FAT32 partition and your comment about using "Something Else" option to specify which partition is being used for EFI has me wondering if it has a special use that requires it to be setup in the following way:

(1) 'Small in size (512MB)'
(2) 'FAT32 format'
(3) 'And apart from the partition the Linux Mint OS will be installed on'.
From what I think that I understand this small partition holds the UEFI BIOS's boot data that allows Linux Mint to startup.

Is it either not a good idea or not possible to place them both on the same drive with no partitions?

Also, previously I've only ever used "Installation Type - Erase disk and install Linux Mint", is selecting the "Installation Type - Something Else" option required for installing on UEFI?

RollyShed wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:02 am How big are the disks you are going to use? If everything is less than 2TB no need to worry about anything.

We presume you have burnt the iso to a USB stick, not copied it to the stick.

Personally - I go into the BIOS, set first boot to be the USB stick.
If the stick is plugged, the BIOS can probably see it and there might be USB something and USB something else so simply make all the USB options first.

Secure boot OFF, Fast Boot OFF, UFEI switched to Legacy.

The disk sizes of the new drives are:

512GB (Verbatim Vi3000 M.2 PCIe NVMe 2280 Internal SSD)
2TB (Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" Internal Drive 2TB)
I may put larger drives in at some point but 2TB should be enough for me as a data drive for a while.

Doesn't secure boot offer some kind of protection to the Linux Mint OS if it is installed with it on, isn't it better to use it if possible?

An additional concern is if I turn secure boot off is it easy to turn it back on or will that blank the settings that have allowed the old Windows drive to boot?

Although I am not planning to keep the harddrive with Windows installed on the computer I would still like to be able to revert to it if that is unexpectedly needed at some point in the future.

The BIOS for the Dell Inspiron 5676 does display legacy options in its BOOT section, but they are gray'ed out and for some reason I can't currently select them:

Legacy Option ROMs <Disabled>
Boot List Option <UEFI>
Attempt Legacy Boot <Disabled>
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:23 amI just tried to turn off "Fast Boot" in the BIOS and I may have run into a problem, there are only 3 options and none of them are off:

Thorough
Minimal
Auto
It is currently set to Minimal.
Based on those options, it sounds to me like "Minimal" would be having Fast Boot turned on. Thorough sounds like it would be a "thorough" boot and go through everything. I have no idea what "Auto" would be.

Dell usually has good documentation available from their website. If you check for your model, it may explain the options.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:23 amThe question I have about the video tutorial is at 1:07 the person installing mint creates a 512.00MB FAT32 partition.

Would it be better if I partitioned the entire drive using the EXT4 file system instead?
Partitioning a drive and formatting a drive are two different steps. As in the What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?, "You have to partition a disk drive before you can use it." Formatting the partition happens after you create the partition.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:23 am My understanding was that EXT4 has advantages over FAT32, but the small size of the FAT32 partition and your comment about using "Something Else" option to specify which partition is being used for EFI has me wondering if it has a special use that requires it to be setup in the following way:

(1) 'Small in size (512MB)'
(2) 'FAT32 format'
(3) 'And apart from the partition the Linux Mint OS will be installed on'.
From what I think that I understand this small partition holds the UEFI BIOS's boot data that allows Linux Mint to startup.
The small partition is the EFI bootloader partition. It works with the settings in BIOS/UEFI to start the operating system.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:23 amIs it either not a good idea or not possible to place them both on the same drive with no partitions?
You would be placing both of them on the same drive. However, they would each be in their own partition on that drive.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:23 amAlso, previously I've only ever used "Installation Type - Erase disk and install Linux Mint", is selecting the "Installation Type - Something Else" option required for installing on UEFI?
There are some bugs in the installer and it ends up creating partitions that are not applicable to everyone's install. By using the "Something Else" option, you will end up with a cleaner install and makes any troubleshooting that might be needed in the future much easier.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:23 amDoesn't secure boot offer some kind of protection to the Linux Mint OS if it is installed with it on, isn't it better to use it if possible?

An additional concern is if I turn secure boot off is it easy to turn it back on or will that blank the settings that have allowed the old Windows drive to boot?
Turning Secure Boot on or off is just a change to the setting in the BIOS/UEFI. It's not a big deal and will not "blank" anything.

While you can not use Secure Boot unless your system has UEFI, it is not a required part of UEFI to be running. It is just an extra layer of security. Here is the Dell documentation on it Secure Boot overview.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:23 amThe BIOS for the Dell Inspiron 5676 does display legacy options in its BOOT section, but they are gray'ed out and for some reason I can't currently select them:

Legacy Option ROMs <Disabled>
Boot List Option <UEFI>
Attempt Legacy Boot <Disabled>
I do not recommend using Legacy mode on a computer with UEFI. In fact, I have had to help people re-install their system in UEFI mode in order to get graphics to work properly. Both newer AMD and Nvidia GPUs can have problems if Linux Mint is installed in Legacy-BIOS mode on a UEFI computer.

Legacy-BIOS mode on most computers is an emulation of BIOS. It is not a true BIOS (because the firmware is UEFI). Making sure the emulation is 100% correct on a computer running a Linux-based distro when the computer was most likely designed to only run Windows is something the manufacturer is unlikely to do. I think it is best to run it as it was originally designed which means using UEFI.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

After watching several more videos and reading every blog article I could get my hands on I'm ready for the attempt which I'll be starting right after posting this.

From what I've been reading on the subject of the UEFI harddrive partition this partition must be FAT32, or FAT16 if legacy hardware is involved.

FAT32 is the one to select for modern compatibility, EXT4 should not be used as UEFI is setup to understand FAT32.

EXT4 can be used for the partition that the OS or any additional data drives occupy.

Unfortunately I still haven't managed to turn off "Fast Boot" but I did find what may be a small amount of information on the "Thorough, Minimal, Automatic." settings. I'm not sure if this information is also true for the Dell Inspiron 5676 model of computer or just applies to Dell Laptops

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops- ... -p/3988552

--fastboot
Valid Argument thorough, minimal, automatic
Description Enables fast booting.
• thorough — Sets POST to perform complete hardware and
configuration testing.
• minimal — Sets POST to perform minimal hardware testing.
• automatic — Allows the BIOS to decide what level of POST test
is used.

Can I leave it on Minimal or is there a setting buried in the BIOS somewhere to turn fast boot off completely?

I've been reading a lot of warnings that if Fast Boot is left on it destroys windows file systems and causes other problems when loading Linux Mint.

If the drives containing Windows aren't even in the computer anymore will fast boot still cause a problem if left alone?

I'll report the the results of my install attempt as soon as I finish, thank you for the help. :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:48 pmUnfortunately I still haven't managed to turn off "Fast Boot" but I did find what may be a small amount of information on the "Thorough, Minimal, Automatic." settings.
I think there may be some confusion with the terminology.

When you turn off Fast Boot in BIOS, that means you want it to do the full, slow boot. You do not want it to skip things so the boot process is faster. You want it to do all the hardware checks.

That means you want to set your system to "Thorough" instead of "Minimal".
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

I'm reading the Inspiron 5676 manual on Dell's site right now, thank you for pointing it out.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca ... sktop/docs
SMG wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:56 pm
Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:48 pmUnfortunately I still haven't managed to turn off "Fast Boot" but I did find what may be a small amount of information on the "Thorough, Minimal, Automatic." settings.
I think there may be some confusion with the terminology.

When you turn off Fast Boot in BIOS, that means you want it to do the full, slow boot. You do not want it to skip things so the boot process is faster. You want it to do all the hardware checks.

That means you want to set your system to "Thorough" instead of "Minimal".
Thank you for explaining that in more detail, I've just gone into the BIOS and switched it from 'Minimal' to 'Thorough'.

The increased boot time is barely noticeable.

I have an additional question:
I've seen a few people mention that the UEFI boot partition should be 1GB instead of 512MB, whereas others have suggested that 1GB is excessive.

Is 512MB still the correct partition setting for the UEFI Boot partition on most modern machines that are not expecting to dual boot?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:32 pmI have an additional question:
I've seen a few people mention that the UEFI boot partition should be 1GB instead of 512MB, whereas others have suggested that 1GB is excessive.

Is 512MB still the correct partition setting for the UEFI Boot partition on most modern machines that are not expecting to dual boot?
I do not usually help with those types of issues, but according to the discussion in this topic EFI partition sizes the smaller size will work. However, you will want to make sure you regularly clear out old unused kernels. The larger size would give more breathing room if you are not always on top of your kernel housekeeping.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

Everything seems to be working so far.

I've partitioned the NVMe drive using Gparted and installed Linux Mint 20.3 (Mate) from a USB.

After the install finished the computer restarted and something called "Perform MOK management" has loaded.

From what I've been reading this appears to be the place that the Secure Boot password is entered.

I have found one video covering this on youtube: (See time index 8:50 in the video for the Secure Boot information)

A Clean Install of Linux Mint 20.2 (Dell UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot and MOK)

The steps suggested by this video during the "Perform MOK management" program are:

(1) Select "Enroll MOK"
(2) Select "Continue"
(3) Select "Yes"
(4) Input your Secure Boot password (Created when you installed Linux Mint)
(5) Select "Reboot"
Are these steps the correct actions to take?

====== ====== ====== ======

I may have made a mistake. :oops:

While I was writing this post the computer was waiting at the first screen of the "Perform MOK management" program.

However when i turned around it was the Linux Mint 20.3 desktop with the "Welcome" message being displayed. :shock:

I'm guessing that if left alone with no input the "Perform MOK management" program automatically reboots the computer.

Since I did not enter my Secure Boot password the multimedia drivers should not have been able to install correctly.

When I searched for information about this online it suggests the "Perform MOK management" only loads during that first boot after installing Linux Mint.

Is it safe if I just re-installing Linux Mint from the USB stick, or is the "Perform MOK management" program now half installed and needs to be fixed elsewhere?

Edit:
I have not yet found information on if it is safe to re-install linux mint after failing to input the secure boot password in "Perform MOK management" program before it automatically reboots without first taking any additional steps.

I did find someone else who had it happen to them though so my suspicion that it automatically rebooted while I wasn't looking appears to have been correct.

Enroll MOK" dialog after the 1-st reboot when you install Linux Mint 20.1 - what is it for (secure boot)?

2nd Edit:
There appears to be a way to re-trigger the MOK program from outlined on this thread:
Missed to confirm password and enroll MOK

Although I'm not sure how to input it yet... my guess is this must be done from the terminal program.

When I check the "System Reports" I confirmed that the "Multimedia Codecs" did not install correctly.

3rd Edit:
I've continued to search for information on Mok and Secure Boot but unfortunately most threads, articles and videos just end with a "Turn off Secure Boot".

This thread appears to have ended with the user re-installing Linux Mint after failing to get "Secure boot" working via terminal commands.
secure boot key for LinuxMint 19.3

Perhaps that is the best option. My current thinking is that the "Mok" program rebooted the system after being idle and did not assign any key so in theory nothing has changed and a re-install over the current Linux Mint OS 'should' be safe.

From what I have read Mok writes to the firmware and not the harddrive, so if I am mistaken in my thinking then blanking the harddrive is not necessarily going to fix it.

I really don't want to dig the hole I've gotten myself into deeper after getting so close, I'll keep searching for more information before I try to re-install mint from the USB drive.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:25 am The steps suggested by this video during the "Perform MOK management" program are:

(1) Select "Enroll MOK"
(2) Select "Continue"
(3) Select "Yes"
(4) Input your Secure Boot password (Created when you installed Linux Mint)
(5) Select "Reboot"
Are these steps the correct actions to take?
There is no standard way for how to handle Secure Boot/MOK. Feedback I have received indicates different manufacturers handle it differently. The fact you found a video where someone was describing the process on a Dell desktop means there is a good chance that is how it is handled on your computer.

As far as the issue with defining the key, based on what you found, I would suggest using what you found in Edit 2.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:25 am2nd Edit:
There appears to be a way to re-trigger the MOK program from outlined on this thread:
Missed to confirm password and enroll MOK

Although I'm not sure how to input it yet... my guess is this must be done from the terminal program.
You would enter that command in the terminal. I seem to recall someone else describing doing this, but my memory is a little fuzzy on the details. I think running that command

sudo update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key
brings up the program inside the terminal window (a new window will not open) and you might have to use tab or arrow keys to progress through the program's screens, enter the password, and complete the program. I seem to recall the feedback indicating the process was a bit awkward and not necessarily intuitive, but it can be done. (Might be easier to manage if you know ahead of time it might look and feel a bit weird.)

Ubuntu wiki: SecureBoot explains running the command in section 5 "How can I do non-automated signing of drivers?" (You do not have to worry about the last sentence of that section with the kernel modules.)
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:25 amWhen I check the "System Reports" I confirmed that the "Multimedia Codecs" did not install correctly.
The other option is attempting to re-install the codecs and letting that re-install force the MOK program to come up again (or at least that's what I understand will happen based on the links you posted).
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:25 amFrom what I have read Mok writes to the firmware and not the harddrive, so if I am mistaken in my thinking then blanking the harddrive is not necessarily going to fix it.
MOK is in the firmware. While the Operating System (be it Windows or any Linux-based distro) is set up to work with what is in the firmware, MOK is separate from the operating system.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

SMG wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:22 pmThe other option is attempting to re-install the codecs and letting that re-install force the MOK program to come up again (or at least that's what I understand will happen based on the links you posted).
I just tried installing the "Multimedia Codecs" from the "System Reports" menu and it unfortunately did not re-trigger MOK on reboot.

SMG wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:22 pmMOK is in the firmware. While the Operating System (be it Windows or any Linux-based distro) is set up to work with what is in the firmware, MOK is separate from the operating system.
Would there be any problem if I just reinstalled Linux Mint 20.3 (Mate) onto the same drive partitions erasing the current OS?

Or would either the failed MOK or re-using the same UEFI boot partition without erasing it and re-creating that partition in Gparted cause problems with a Linux Mint reinstall?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:55 pmI just tried installing the "Multimedia Codecs" from the "System Reports" menu and it unfortunately did not re-trigger MOK on reboot.
Did you try running the sudo update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key?
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:55 pmWould there be any problem if I just reinstalled Linux Mint 20.3 (Mate) onto the same drive partitions erasing the current OS?

Or would either the failed MOK or re-using the same UEFI boot partition without erasing it and re-creating that partition in Gparted cause problems with a Linux Mint reinstall?
I do not normally help with these types of issues so I can not give you definitive answers.

I would expect that if you do a new install then you are setting up a new MOK so any prior ones would not be an issue.

I have no guesses as to what happens when you are re-installing the same OS to an efi partition to which that OS had already been installed if the partition is not reformatted. I know there is an efi component which is in the UEFI which works with that efi partition.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Maybe this has been covered, but fastboot needs to be disabled from within windows, so definitely before windows is blown away. Maybe disabling it in the bios already takes care of this, but I would do both:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... st-startup
viewtopic.php?p=2067102#p2067102
https://fosspost.org/prepare-your-pc-fo ... cure-boot/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdLcJLKEMbY
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

SMG wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:47 am
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:55 pmI just tried installing the "Multimedia Codecs" from the "System Reports" menu and it unfortunately did not re-trigger MOK on reboot.
Did you try running the sudo update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key?
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:55 pmWould there be any problem if I just reinstalled Linux Mint 20.3 (Mate) onto the same drive partitions erasing the current OS?

I do not normally help with these types of issues so I can not give you definitive answers.

I would expect that if you do a new install then you are setting up a new MOK so any prior ones would not be an issue.

I have no guesses as to what happens when you are re-installing the same OS to an efi partition to which that OS had already been installed if the partition is not reformatted. I know there is an efi component which is in the UEFI which works with that efi partition.
After watching this video ' "update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key" running on every new startup eating resources ' and reading articles like this ' update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key running on start up dont want to disable secure boot what to do? ' I got a bit nervous about making the attempt at running MOK from the terminal as I don't fully understand it yet.

Also when I tried installing the "Multimedia Codecs" from the "System Reports" menu and it failed to install the option to reinstall those codecs was removed from that menu so I can't try that again via the same method.

What I am thinking is that it would be a lot easier at my skill level to repeat the steps for the normal installation after I try unallocating the UEFI Boot partition in Gparted and then recreating it before reinstalling Linux Mint 20.3 (Mate).

mikeflan wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:08 pm Maybe this has been covered, but fastboot needs to be disabled from within windows, so definitely before windows is blown away. Maybe disabling it in the bios already takes care of this, but I would do both:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... st-startup
viewtopic.php?p=2067102#p2067102
https://fosspost.org/prepare-your-pc-fo ... cure-boot/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdLcJLKEMbY
I 'think' that only applies if you have a dual boot Linux/Windows setup... but I'll swap the harddrives back to the windows ones and change those settings just to be safe.

On the plus side the inside of the Inspiron 5676's tower is setup in a way that most of the parts are pretty easy to get at so the drive swap won't be that much of a hassle. Only a light bar needs to be removed to provide access to the M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD's slot.

I can't help but think that 'Secure Boot' and 'Fast Boot' in their current state are in line with Microsoft's "Embrace, extend, and extinguish" (EEE) strategy...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:21 pmAfter watching this video ' "update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key" running on every new startup eating resources ' and reading articles like this ' update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key running on start up dont want to disable secure boot what to do? ' I got a bit nervous about making the attempt at running MOK from the terminal as I don't fully understand it yet.
Both of those indicate the reason that process was running was because the key had not yet been set up. The point of running the command in the terminal is to set up the key, but if you prefer doing things a different way that is fine. It's your computer and you are the boss. :)
Mint Leaf wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:21 pmAlso when I tried installing the "Multimedia Codecs" from the "System Reports" menu and it failed to install the option to reinstall those codecs was removed from that menu so I can't try that again via the same method.
I do not have MATE and do not know why Multiimedia Codecs would be on the System Reports menu. I seem to recall installing Codecs from the Welcome screen app after I installed Linux Mint (and discovered a sound I installed for email notifications was not working. :P ) However, I have Cinnamon so my set-up might be different.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

SMG wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:28 pmI do not have MATE and do not know why Multiimedia Codecs would be on the System Reports menu. I seem to recall installing Codecs from the Welcome screen app after I installed Linux Mint (and discovered a sound I installed for email notifications was not working. :P ) However, I have Cinnamon so my set-up might be different.
I just re-installed Linux Mint 20.3 (Mate) and this time I followed the steps to insert the new Secure Boot password and enroll it after reboot with MOK however the "Multimedia Codecs" are displaying in the "System Reports" menu as not installed. :o

The "Multimedia Codecs" were selected to install during the installation from the USB, however I did not have an internet connection at the time so it is possible that the lack of internet blocked their install and not Secure Boot... I hope.

Is there a way (Perhaps something like the "inxi -Fxxxrz" command) that I can see if the "Multimedia Codecs" have been successfully installed on the system?

SMG wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:28 pm Both of those indicate the reason that process was running was because the key had not yet been set up. The point of running the command in the terminal is to set up the key, but if you prefer doing things a different way that is fine. It's your computer and you are the boss. :)
I did not feel confident with my grasp of the Ubuntu wiki SecureBoot article and went with reinstalling as the method, but this is knowledge I would still like to have so I'll go over how I think it would have operated based on your description and the Ubuntu wiki to see if my understanding is correct.

From what I understand what would have happen had I used the terminal method is:

(Step 1)
In the terminal the command 'sudo update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key' would be entered.

This would open a program inside the terminal, not in its own window, that allows the user to type in a new Secure Boot key in the same way that it was possible to do during the Linux Mint OS install.
Linux Mint OS Install - Configure Secure Boot Password.png

(Step 2)
Next the command 'sudo update-secureboot-policy --new-key' is entered into the Terminal.

This command will cause MOK to open next time the computer is rebooted allowing them to go through the steps to 'enroll' the Secure Boot password into the accepted key list.

The MOK program may look differently on other hardware but on a Dell these are the steps to follow at that point:
. Select 'Enroll MOK'
. Select 'Continue'
. Select 'Yes'
. Input 'Password'
. Select 'Reboot'
Enroll MOK on Dell.png

After this the 'Secure Boot' key is present and any Graphic Card or Multimedia Codecs will install without being blocked by the Secure Boot setting.

Do I understand that correctly?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:48 pmIs there a way (Perhaps something like the "inxi -Fxxxrz" command) that I can see if the "Multimedia Codecs" have been successfully installed on the system?
Open the Software Manager app. Search for multimedia and you should see Multimedia Codecs with a Linux Mint icon as one of the options returned. If there is a white check inside a green circle on that option, then you have it installed.
Mint Leaf wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:48 pmI did not feel confident with my grasp of the Ubuntu wiki SecureBoot article and went with reinstalling as the method, but this is knowledge I would still like to have so I'll go over how I think it would have operated based on your description and the Ubuntu wiki to see if my understanding is correct.
I have not done this so I can not give you personal experience, but my understanding of the situation is that only the first step would be needed because I thought you created the key, but did not enroll it by entering the password on the screen that disappeared on you.

The Ubuntu wiki: SecureBoot describes three scenarios which can happen after entering sudo update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key
If no MOK exists, the script will exit with a message to that effect. If the key is already enrolled, the script will exit, doing nothing. If the key exists but it not shown to be enrolled, the user will be prompted for a password to use after reboot, so that the key can be enrolled.
I understand that to mean you would get another pop-up box when you rebooted (like the one which timed out on you) so you would not need any additional steps. However, it is possible I do not clearly understand how far in the process you were when the screen timed out.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

SMG wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:01 pm Open the Software Manager app. Search for multimedia and you should see Multimedia Codecs with a Linux Mint icon as one of the options returned. If there is a white check inside a green circle on that option, then you have it installed.
Is this the "Multimedia Codecs" choice in the "Software Manager" app?
Multimedia Codecs.png
Multimedia Codecs.png (117.83 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
If that is the correct program it appears that " mint-meta-codecs " version 2021-11-18 has not yet been installed.

SMG wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:01 pm I have not done this so I can not give you personal experience, but my understanding of the situation is that only the first step would be needed because I thought you created the key, but did not enroll it by entering the password on the screen that disappeared on you.

The Ubuntu wiki: SecureBoot describes three scenarios which can happen after entering sudo update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key
If no MOK exists, the script will exit with a message to that effect. If the key is already enrolled, the script will exit, doing nothing. If the key exists but it not shown to be enrolled, the user will be prompted for a password to use after reboot, so that the key can be enrolled.
I understand that to mean you would get another pop-up box when you rebooted (like the one which timed out on you) so you would not need any additional steps. However, it is possible I do not clearly understand how far in the process you were when the screen timed out.

Thank you for going over that.

Although I'm still really inexperienced when it comes to most of this it is both interesting and exciting to learn it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:13 amIs this the "Multimedia Codecs" choice in the "Software Manager" app?
Multimedia Codecs.png

If that is the correct program it appears that " mint-meta-codecs " version 2021-11-18 has not yet been installed.
Yes, that is it.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

SMG wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:13 am
Mint Leaf wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:13 amIs this the "Multimedia Codecs" choice in the "Software Manager" app?
Multimedia Codecs.png

Yes, that is it.
Thank you very much for the help.

I just finished the installation of mint-meta-codecs and they appear to be working without any problems when playing media.

I'm going to change the title of this post to add the [Solved] tag and include "Secure Boot" in the title so that it is easier for anyone else looking to perform the same kind of OS install to search for in future.

Again, thank you to everyone who helped me setup this computer with Linux Mint. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”