[SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint 20.3 on a Dell Inspiron 5676 with Secure Boot.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint 20.3 on a Dell Inspiron 5676 with Secure Boot.

Post by Mint Leaf »

I have just purchased a used computer and plan to install Linux Mint on it.

Here are the specs as far as I know, I have yet to open the case and poke around inside it yet:

Code: Select all

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Pinnacle Ridge 12nm Technology

RAM:
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)

Motherboard:
Dell Inc. 0VYXHD (AM4)

Graphics:
ASUS VP28U (1920x1080@59Hz)
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 580 (Dell)

Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM010-2Ep102 (SATA) <===== This part is being replaced with a fresh 2TB SATA drive
238GB KXG50ZNV256G NVMe TOSHIBA 256GB (Unknown (SSD))

Audio:
AMD High Definition Audio Device

After reading the forum a bit it appears that the install may have a steps that I'm not familiar with involving the installation of the drivers for the AMD hardware.

So what I'm asking is: Is there anything I should know before I get started and try to install the Mint (Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce) OS onto this computer?

I think the computer currently has Windows 10 installed so if there is any system information you think that I should look at in windows before blanking it, please let me know.

I've also purchased a new SATA harddrive to replace the one this computer came with so Mint will be installing onto a blank Harddrive. Unless I'm mistaken Linux Mint can format and partition this blank drive when it is being installed so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sadly this PC did not come with a DVD drive so I'll be trying to use a bootable USB, which is something I've read can be done with Linux Mint but have yet to attempt personally.

Any tips or words of caution would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing Linux Mint on a used computer with AMD hardware.

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:30 pmAfter reading the forum a bit it appears that the install may have a steps that I'm not familiar with involving the installation of the drivers for the AMD hardware.
AMD drivers are in the kernel and load automatically when you boot the computer. You do not need to manually install drivers.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:30 pmI think the computer currently has Windows 10 installed so if there is any system information you think that I should look at in windows before blanking it, please let me know.
I suggest checking to see if the BIOS/UEFI is updated. (The system probably has UEFI.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

The Window's System Information program displays the BIOS information as:

BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. 1.3.0, 2018-10-08
BIOS Mode: UEFI

I haven't updated/flashed a BIOS before and messing with it makes me pretty nervous.

What is the advantage of updating it, is it fine to leave it as is?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:39 pm The Window's System Information program displays the BIOS information as:

BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. 1.3.0, 2018-10-08
BIOS Mode: UEFI
I haven't updated/flashed a BIOS before and messing with it makes me pretty nervous.
I mentioned it because you indicated the computer currently has Windows on it. I would presume it would be easier to update in Windows than trying to do it without Windows being installed.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:39 pmWhat is the advantage of updating it, is it fine to leave it as is?
You have not specified what computer model it is so I can not check to see what the updates would include. Having checked a lot of Dell drivers, my guess is this is not the latest version. Dell usually keeps up with security fixes and also includes hardware-related fixes from time to time.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

Unfortunately this is a used machine and I don't know much about it aside from the specs I posted.

Is there a way to tell which dell computer model this is without installing any additional programs?

The person that sold me the computer has already blanked the OS drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, if Dell had any programs on there identifying the computer type my guess is that they were deleted at that point.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:58 pmIs there a way to tell which dell computer model this is without installing any additional programs?
Usually, there is a place in the BIOS/UEFI which would indicate the name. Additionally, you could boot to a live session of Linux Mint and get the information from the System Reports or from inxi output.
Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:58 pmThe person that sold me the computer has already blanked the OS drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, if Dell had any programs on there identifying the computer type my guess is that they were deleted at that point.
There's usually something in the system information which indicates the computer model number. There may also be an indication on the outside case.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

Thank you, I think I found it. :D

I found a small tag under the machine with a number that lists it on Dell's website as an: Inspiron 5676.

It also displayed a picture of the tower and it looks the same, so I think this is very likely to be the same computer model.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The info I found indicates the latest BIOS/UEFI version is 1.3.0 so your system is already updated.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

Thank you for the help.

I'll get started taking the tower apart and swapping out the current harddrive for the new one in preparation for the Linux Mint install.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Mint Leaf wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:23 pm Thank you for the help.

I'll get started taking the tower apart and swapping out the current harddrive for the new one in preparation for the Linux Mint install.
*nods humbly*..THAT...is a wise idea. It's always safer to keep Windows and Linux worlds separate...for many reasons.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

I'm running Linux Mint with absolutely zero issues on an AMD Ryzen 1800X with an Nvidia Titan Xp. So technically speaking, older more obscure hardware, you should be fine. Especially with the AMD GPU.

If you are putting an SSD in, it should pick it right up when you go to install LM. In regard to USB installation, you may need to go into the bios and set it to boot from USB, I've seen some computers have this in the top boot priority by default though.

Basically, you shouldn't need to do anything special to get Linux Mint installed and working. It should "Just work" as Apple likes to say.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

Nikolai5 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:16 amIf you are putting an SSD in, it should pick it right up when you go to install LM. In regard to USB installation, you may need to go into the bios and set it to boot from USB, I've seen some computers have this in the top boot priority by default though.
I poked around in the BIOS and I 'think' I've spotted the place to change the boot order, although I have yet to change any settings as I'm still reading up on it.
motoryzen wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:35 pm*nods humbly*..THAT...is a wise idea. It's always safer to keep Windows and Linux worlds separate...for many reasons.
Agreed. I know a dual boot is possible but I just want to keep things simple.

I've had to wait a few days for a replacement part to arrive but I now have both a HDD and 'PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD' ready to replace the ones that came with this used Inspiron 5676.

My previous experience has been with the old BIOS type where you just assigned the boot order to the various drives on the system, but it appears UEFI may be a bit different as there is something called "Secure boot" to deal with?

Before removing the old parts I went into the Inspiron 5676's BIOS by pressing F12 during start up and looked around and noticed the following settings:

(Boot Manager)
Boot mode is set to: UEFI: Secure Boot: ON: fTPM is ON

(UEFI BOOT)
HDD1-Windows Boot Manager (KXG50ZNV246G NVMe TOSHIBA 256G))
and when I went into the 'Setup' -> 'Boot' section I noticed two fields called:

File Browser Add Boot Option
> Windows Boot Manger : \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

File Browser Del Boot Option
  Windows Boot Manger : \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

This will be my first time trying to install on an UEFI system and from what I've read this "Secure Boot" setting may have added some extra steps to the install process.

I'm still reading up on this topic and my knowledge of BIOS settings is rather limited is there anything I need to do involving these (Or other) BIOS settings or will Linux Mint 20.3 handle it during the install?

The new harddrives are from different manufacturers and are also different sizes than the ones that were previously installed, the new parts are:

Verbatim Vi3000 M.2 PCIe NVMe 2280 Internal SSD 512GB
Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" Internal Drive 2TB SATA

I figured it was better to ask before making the attempt and bricking the system, then to ask after I'd unnecessarily placed my self into hot water.

On a side note:
The PCIe NVMe parts are amazingly small compared to the old HDD! Took me a moment to find the existing one on the motherboard. Pretty cool stuff. :D
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mikaelrask »

hey i suggest you disable secure and fast boot from bios before you install linux as well, and welcome to linux mint
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:43 amMy previous experience has been with the old BIOS type where you just assigned the boot order to the various drives on the system, but it appears UEFI may be a bit different as there is something called "Secure boot" to deal with?
Secure Boot is not relevant to the boot order. Secure Boot makes sure what is booting is, in essence, "approved" by the firmware to be loaded. This "approval" process (assigning keys) can become an issue with third-party drivers such as Nvidia and some wireless drivers. Enabling Secure Boot means the keys must be created. Disabling Secure Boot means keys are not needed.

The necessary keys related to the Linux Mint operating system are included in the ISO and there is nothing special you need to do with regards to them.

Boot order really relates to the EFI part of the firmware. Here is a good resource on What Is UEFI, and How Is It Different from BIOS?.

Here is a video of installing with UEFI HOW TO INSTALL LINUX MINT 20.1 "ULYSSA" UEFI MODE + GPT 2021. Note the root partition should be at least 30GB (not 20GB as in the video) for LM20.
Mint Leaf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:43 amand when I went into the 'Setup' -> 'Boot' section I noticed two fields called:

If you are ever going to want to boot that drive with Windows on it, then leave these options there.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

mikaelrask wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:09 am hey i suggest you disable secure and fast boot from bios before you install linux as well, and welcome to linux mint
Thank you I will disable the fast boot option as you recommend.

SMG wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:13 pm
Mint Leaf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:43 amMy previous experience has been with the old BIOS type where you just assigned the boot order to the various drives on the system, but it appears UEFI may be a bit different as there is something called "Secure boot" to deal with?
Secure Boot is not relevant to the boot order. Secure Boot makes sure what is booting is, in essence, "approved" by the firmware to be loaded. This "approval" process (assigning keys) can become an issue with third-party drivers such as Nvidia and some wireless drivers. Enabling Secure Boot means the keys must be created. Disabling Secure Boot means keys are not needed.

The necessary keys related to the Linux Mint operating system are included in the ISO and there is nothing special you need to do with regards to them.

Boot order really relates to the EFI part of the firmware. Here is a good resource on What Is UEFI, and How Is It Different from BIOS?.

Here is a video of installing with UEFI HOW TO INSTALL LINUX MINT 20.1 "ULYSSA" UEFI MODE + GPT 2021. Note the root partition should be at least 30GB (not 20GB as in the video) for LM20.
Mint Leaf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:43 amand when I went into the 'Setup' -> 'Boot' section I noticed two fields called:

If you are ever going to want to boot that drive with Windows on it, then leave these options there.

Thank you for catching that! My initial instinct was to delete that Windows Boot Manger and just try to re-create it later if I swapped back to the windows drive, I'm glad I asked before doing something that I couldn't take back.

Although I don't have a reason to boot the Windows drive again at the moment I do want to retain it in working order, just in case.

I'm reading the "What Is UEFI, and How Is It Different from BIOS?" article you linked right now however the "HOW TO INSTALL LINUX MINT 20.1 "ULYSSA" UEFI MODE + GPT 2021" youtube video has been set to "Private Video" and won't load.

Do you have another tutorial video that you could recommend that covers that topic?
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

You are MUCH better to use the SSD drive for your Mint OS and the big SATA drive for data. SSD is far quicker.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 pmhowever the "HOW TO INSTALL LINUX MINT 20.1 "ULYSSA" UEFI MODE + GPT 2021" youtube video has been set to "Private Video" and won't load.

Do you have another tutorial video that you could recommend that covers that topic?
Sorry about that. I'll remove it from my notes and see if I can find something else. That one specifically discussed creating the efi partition rather than just letting the installer do the defaults.

Edited to add: Video is no longer private mode and links works as of 20 June 2022.
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 pm You are MUCH better to use the SSD drive for your Mint OS and the big SATA drive for data. SSD is far quicker.
That makes sense, thank you I will do exactly that.
SMG wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:57 pm
Mint Leaf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 pmhowever the "HOW TO INSTALL LINUX MINT 20.1 "ULYSSA" UEFI MODE + GPT 2021" youtube video has been set to "Private Video" and won't load.

Sorry about that. I'll remove it from my notes and see if I can find something else. That one specifically discussed creating the efi partition rather than just letting the installer do the defaults.
Thank you for looking for another tutorial, I appreciate it.

The "What Is UEFI, and How Is It Different from BIOS?" article you linked is pretty interesting. I was not aware that the older type of BIOS coudn't boot from drives that are over 2TB.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mint Leaf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:12 pmThank you for looking for another tutorial, I appreciate it.
The person in this video Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon Install (UEFI) created his partitions (one for EFI and one for the Mint OS) using GParted (it's on the ISO) before he did the install. He then uses the "Something Else" option and specifies which partition to use for EFI and which one to use for the operating system. To me, this video was a bit harder to see and did not have as much explanation as the one which is now private, so let us know if you have questions. (I am off to bed now and will not have time until tomorrow to try and find and evaluate more videos.)

You will want to partition your drive GPT. This link What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive? was linked in the prior article, but in case you had not yet seen it, I'm mentioning it now. I recommend doing the partitioning and formatting before starting the install.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

How big are the disks you are going to use? If everything is less than 2TB no need to worry about anything.

We presume you have burnt the iso to a USB stick, not copied it to the stick.

Personally - I go into the BIOS, set first boot to be the USB stick.
If the stick is plugged, the BIOS can probably see it and there might be USB something and USB something else so simply make all the USB options first.

Secure boot OFF, Fast Boot OFF, UFEI switched to Legacy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”