Keyboard layout problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dfnskgn
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard layout problems

Post by dfnskgn »

I have a Swedish mac keyboard. I am more used to a win keyboard so I wanted to use the right cmd as the AltGr key. Therefore i ran dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration to fix this. The AltGr remapping worked but unfortunately this changed the whole keyboard to different layout. I think it has changed to the "Swedish (Macintosh)" instead of the "Swedish" that I am used to. I am used to type AltGr+7 to get a left curly brace but now Altgr+7 becomes | instead of left curly brace. I can't change layout at Preferences->Keyboard->Layouts anymore, since I get this error message:
Screenshot from 2022-05-23 01-29-12.png
Also when i preview the layouts at Preferences->Keyboard->Layouts, everything looks messed up. Previously it looked like this:
Screenshot from 2022-05-22 20-30-00.png
Now it looks like this:
Screenshot from 2022-05-23 01-33-38.png
Note that the design is completely different and there is a strange white diagonal line across the keyboard.

This is what I get when I run the commands suggested in the error message:

Code: Select all

~$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "evdev", "macbook79", "se", "mac", "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "evdev", "macbook79", "se,se", ",mac", "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
~$ gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard model
''
~$ gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard layouts
['se\tmac', 'se']
~$ gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard options
@as []
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”