Thumbnail previews

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

Thumbnail previews

Post by Dan_Sykes »

Hi all, when I view file icons that are located on the SSD they appear as the thumbnail previews. When I plug my phone in to download pictures to the SSD, the icons on the phone are just a palm tree with a sunset. I can't find a way to get them to display as a thumbnail of the image. This makes it difficult to find the images that I need. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Thumbnail previews

Post by dave0808 »

This will depend on which File Manager you are using. Look at the Help -> About menu option for more information.

In most cases, there should be one or more settings within the File Manager's Settings or Preferences, and it would seem on first read that you have your options set to show thumbnails for local files only.

That said, most phones these days are not mounted as mass storage devices, but by some transport protocol via which it would be inefficient to transfer each and every file in full to the PC in order for it to generate a thumbnail.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

agree ^^^^^^

if you are using Android, there is an App "Sweech" which will give a PC direct access to the phone's folders via the local WiFi network.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eech&hl=en

this is the cellphone app display
sweech.jpg

this is the PC's TAB looking at the cellphone

you can drill down into the depths of the phone's folders and find anything you want, no matter what folder it is hiding in.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dan_Sykes »

Thank you! It was the File Manager Preferences, it was set to show Local only. I'd been looking in the System Settings thinking it might be in there.

Beers are on me :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”