Mint 20.3 max screen resolution

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
john155
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 20.3 max screen resolution

Post by john155 »

I wasn't suggesting it did, but the OS must have a finite limit as to the max it can allow any video card to operate at surely?

Anyway as I have already said, Ill forget my question and consider this subject closed.
John
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

john155 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:58 am I wasn't suggesting it did, but the OS must have a finite limit as to the max it can allow any video card to operate at surely?
Why must it have a limit? What purpose would there be in having a limit?

No one wants to pay good money for hardware and then have an operating system prevent them from using the full capabilities of that hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

john155 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:58 am the OS must have a finite limit
Only assumed, this would be the case and a user invests much money for a hardware (CPU and screen) to reach resolutions, which until then were not doable, and the vendor advertises with this feature and takes much money for it and this new resolution would be beyond this "finite limit", what then? Of course the user would say: "damn OS, it gives a limit, which technically is senseless." Your sentence makes only sense, if the word "not" gets inserted: the OS must not have a finale limit.

Strange turn in your demand: First you say, that there must be a limit and you demand it's documentation for a hardware-irrespective resolution and now you demand the limit, which despite your first demand does not exist.

The simple result is this: There is no hardware-irrespective limit and there is no logic to "invent" such a castration.

Return to “Beginner Questions”