Settings unresponsive (Cinnamon)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Settings unresponsive (Cinnamon)

Post by erw1 »

I wanted to modify the screen saver parameters so I did 'Menu > Screen saver' and nothing happened. Then I did:

Code: Select all

$ echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
X-Cinnamon
 $ sudo cinnamon-settings
[sudo] password for er:         
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 607, in <module>
    window = MainWindow()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 243, in __init__
    for module in modules:
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_backgrounds.py", line 5, in <module>
    import imtools
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/imtools.py", line 623, in <module>
    if Image.VERSION == '1.1.7':
AttributeError: module 'PIL.Image' has no attribute 'VERSION'
What is the nature of the problem, and what could be steps that I could take to resolve it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
x64/LM 23+Xfce
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Settings unresponsive (Cinnamon)

Post by Cosmo. »

The nature of the problem can be described with one sentence: You corrupted your account by using sudo with a graphical command.

Follow my old advice to correct it: viewtopic.php?p=1430566#p1430566

BTW: Why did you not name the options, that you want to change?
erw1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by erw1 »

Here's what i get:

$ find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
find: ‘-exec’ is not the name of a known user
Why didn't I specify the option?

$ cinnamon-settings --help
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 607, in <module>
    window = MainWindow()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 243, in __init__
    for module in modules:
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_backgrounds.py", line 5, in <module>
    import imtools
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/imtools.py", line 623, in <module>
    if Image.VERSION == '1.1.7':
AttributeError: module 'PIL.Image' has no attribute 'VERSION'
x64/LM 23+Xfce
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It seems, that you did not read my advice precisely, either the part about sudo -i or what I had underlined in the advice. Try it again.
Possibly there is more broken.

Return to “Beginner Questions”