How do I change Librewolf (AppImage) to be my default browser on Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

How do I change Librewolf (AppImage) to be my default browser on Linux Mint?

Post by Rayser »

In the Preffered Applications there is no LibreWolf option. I think it's because I'm using the AppImage version.

But can be done?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I change Librewolf (AppImage) to be my default browser on Linux Mint?

Post by shedyed »

Try this tactic:

Open your preferred file manager to go to a directory or folder that has an html file. Select one of the html files with a right-click to choose Open with and point it to LibreWolf. If Librewolf is not shown, I believe most file managers will let you pinpoint the LibreWolf application -- sometimes the icon acts as a hint.

If you tried the above approach, and it did not work, tell us which step messed you up.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How do I change Librewolf (AppImage) to be my default browser on Linux Mint?

Post by Rayser »

shedyed wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:31 pm Try this tactic:

Open your preferred file manager to go to a directory or folder that has an html file. Select one of the html files with a right-click to choose Open with and point it to LibreWolf. If Librewolf is not shown, I believe most file managers will let you pinpoint the LibreWolf application -- sometimes the icon acts as a hint.

If you tried the above approach, and it did not work, tell us which step messed you up.
The LibreOffice AppImage appears on the Preferred Applications after changing the default HTML app to LibreWolf.

Now if I click on a link it's open LibreWolf, but a blank page, not the link itself.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

At least, you're getting somewhere...somewhere warmer, not colder :D

All you have to do is edit the entry to say "Librewolf filename" or "Librewolf &1" . In either of these cases, you can type in the terminal Librewolf filename and it should work.

That's it.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

shedyed wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:31 pm At least, you're getting somewhere...somewhere warmer, not colder :D

All you have to do is edit the entry to say "Librewolf filename" or "Librewolf &1" . In either of these cases, you can type in the terminal Librewolf filename and it should work.

That's it.
I don't get it.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

Open up a terminal application; you know how to do this part. The toolbar probably has an icon for terminal on the bottom of your screen.

One way to start figuring out stuff in Linux is, for the most part, typing in commands on a command line. Sure you probably have avoided it for most of your computer life, but sooner or later you will have to work some magic. It's time to crack those knuckles and enter the command

which LibreOffice

and the response should point you to where the command is,e.g. /usr/share/bin

and you can run it like this /usr/share/bin/LibreWolf my-new.html and it should present you with a new (blank) html.

Maybe next response should be 'I don't understand xxx part'

Give it a shot

Return to “Beginner Questions”