Internal HDD not showing. SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Internal HDD not showing. SOLVED

Post by enjohn »

Hello - I need help regarding my HDD internal Storage device, please? The device is showing in Disks but not in Home. I can not get access to it. Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I have used sudo parted -l which I found in an old post. Doesn't mean much to me but hopefully, someone will be able to help.

Code: Select all

enjohn@Office:~$ sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for enjohn:           
Model: ATA ADATA SU630 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 240GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type      File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  538MB  537MB  primary   fat32        boot
 2      539MB   240GB  240GB  extended
 5      539MB   240GB  240GB  logical   ext4

Model: ATA ST1000DM010-2EP1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      17.4kB  16.8MB  16.8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 2      16.8MB  1000GB  1000GB  ext4         Basic data partition

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Internal HDD not showing.

Post by Cosmo. »

Please describe it with other words.

Your Home is not the place to display any device. It shows your user files and folders. Do you see them there?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

enjohn wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:36 am The device is showing in Disks but not in Home.
We're talking about sdb2, right? Does it show in the left pane of File Manager? If so, try clicking on it. Does it mount?
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

Can you post the outcome of lsblk --output=mode,path,fstype,pttype,type,tran,state,mountpoint,subsystems

and from blkid

And can you be a little more specific about which partition you want access to?
What do you mean with 'cant see in home'?
Is it the Home directory you can't access or the root partition?
If you don't know how to explain it otherwise, then maybe a screenshot can explain what you meant with home..
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Hello - apologies for delay in responding. I have no Internet at the moment so using 4G to let you know. Due back at midday but maybe sooner. I will follow all your advice then. Thanks for all the replies.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Hello - internet returned early. Hoping it will stay on now! Thanks for all the advice and ideas. Apologies for the confusing description. Strangely, I turned the PC on just now and opened up Files and my HDD is now showing! I really don't understand why it happened. Shall I carry on as normal now and mark the post solved, or do you have any further advice? One extra question - should this drive be automatically mounted, or shall I carry on just mounting it manually?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I like mounting manually, mainly for portability to other computers. I can mount 3 partitions on 3 disks in about 5-6 seconds. I still forget to do it sometimes since I restart so infrequently.

You can mark this as Solved and then undo it if needed.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Okay, thank you. I was about to do as you suggest and noticed that it had disappeared again after a restart! So I will probably still need some help! I will have a look first to see if I'm doing anything dumb. :? I have just changed the graphics driver and now, after a restart, the HDD is showing again!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Internal HDD not showing. SOLVED

Post by pbear »

HDD not consistently listed in the left pane of File Manager suggests a hardware problem, either a faulty drive or not properly seated.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Thank you for the information. What can I do to check if it is seated correctly? I'd be surprised if the drive was faulty as its relatively new and has always been reliable. Thanks again.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

There's no test you can run. I wouldn't do anything unless and until the drive goes AWOL again. Then I would try removing and reinstalling it. Or have someone do it for you, if you're not comfortable with that sort of thing.
enjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enjohn »

Thanks for you help and advice. I will see how it goes. I have fitted drives before, although not for some time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”