Need some help here... (UPDATED - 18 Dec)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asm@m

Need some help here... (UPDATED - 18 Dec)

Post by asm@m »

Hello..

I installed Mint in Virtualbox for a few days and it run pretty well.
Then i installed it in my laptop, as dualboot with my W7.

I really want to get rid of the Windows, but, IMHO, i think i still need it for some emergency occasion.

1.So, in case i format my laptop hdd, should i make dualboot Mint with windows or just single boot of mint and running windows in Virtualbox?

I have a few other questions
2.AFAIK, in Linux, we cannot choose which partition to install the software (in windows we have C: , D: as a backup etc),
So should i make many partition? How? And how much should i devoted for each partition?

3.Package Manager really give me problem. As a newbie, i really dont know which package that i need and should i install. I ended up of installing all the package.
A few advice here maybe... How do i know i need the package?

4.After installed the Mint as dualboot, all work out of the box, except 2 things,
i) I cannot adjust the screen brightness
ii) Broadcom wireless driver. I ended up having no internet connection. A box pop up saying that Broadcom driver is available bla bla bla and when i click it, it try to connect to the internet to download the driver. The funny thing is, how it supposed to connect to the internet since the laptop itself didnt have the connection.
Maybe in the next release, the dev can include the driver in the distro

5.Do we have these kind of software for Mint?
i)Internet Download Manager
ii)Everything
iii)CCleaner
iv)Sandboxie etc

6. Is there any Task Manager for Mint?
How to end stuck process?

I've heard about Wine,
Wine lets you run Windows software on other operating systems. With Wine, you can install and run these applications just like you would in Windows.

So, if i install wine, mean that i can install most of windows software?

7. How to install *.run file ? UPDATE
VirtualBox-3.1.2-56127-Linux_x86.run to be specific.
I know that they also have *.deb package. But i also have openSUSE, so i downloaded All distributions package which contain .run file.
I read something here

Code: Select all

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/add-applications/C/install-file.html
Can it still be used? since it is for v8.04.

Edit
Forgot to mention , running Helena GNOME in Compaq Presario V3791TU
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Need some help here...

Post by DataMan »

1.So, in case i format my laptop hdd, should i make dualboot Mint with windows or just single boot of mint and running windows in Virtualbox?
That's a personal decision on your part. As a new user I would recommend going the dual boot route. Me thinks you'll have enough to occupy your attention just getting up to speed with a new ops vs trying to also navigate through a VM.
2.AFAIK, in Linux, we cannot choose which partition to install the software (in windows we have C: , D: as a backup etc),
So should i make many partition? How? And how much should i devoted for each partition?
Not true, when you get to the partition selection in the install, you can select the "Manual" method. It gives you complete control over how the ops is installed as well as the mounting of any other partitions at time of bootup. Check the resources in the stickies and "search" for more details.
3.Package Manager really give me problem. As a newbie, i really dont know which package that i need and should i install. I ended up of installing all the package.
A few advice here maybe... How do i know i need the package?
As a new user, it's called the "leap of faith". Trust the repositories to do the necessary updates for you until you get your feet wet. Most of the updates are just that, updates that have occurred since the ops was frozen for release.
6. Is there any Task Manager for Mint?
How to end stuck process?

Code: Select all

Command Line:
$ ps aux
$ sudo kill -9 (process id # from above)

If you're interested, see my website for some hints on starting out in Linux.

-DataMan
lagagnon

Re: Need some help here...

Post by lagagnon »

asm@m wrote: 5.Do we have these kind of software for Mint?
i)Internet Download Manager
ii)Everything
iii)CCleaner
iv)Sandboxie etc
i) flashgot, dx3, wxdownloadfat - many others
ii) many, many search facilities for Linux - I'll let you choose one
iii) Computer Janitor - already on the system
iv) chroot: already on your system.
asm@m

Re: Need some help here... (UPDATED - 18 Dec)

Post by asm@m »

BUMP.

Thanks for the reply. it seem that i ,m really attached to windows and cant live without it. lol.

I have another question. I post it in the first post.

p/s: should i do this or just create a new thred everytime i have a question?
Aging Technogeek

Re: Need some help here... (UPDATED - 18 Dec)

Post by Aging Technogeek »

For quick response, you should open a new thread with each new question. Most people don't check older threads for new posts.

Return to “Beginner Questions”