[SOLVED] Continuing problems trying to install...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
vbmark
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Continuing problems trying to install...

Post by vbmark »

Hello,

I downloaded two different Mint 8 ISOs, the 32 bit and the 64 bit. Both passed MD5 check but neither would boot normally. I had no problem at all with the Mint 7 Live CD but this distro would continually hang on one the below three errors.

After troubleshooting for 3 hours I found I could boot to the Live CD by going into OEM mode and then clicking Quit on the install screen so I could get to GParted. I was then able to finally install Mint 8. However, only in OEM mode.

Now, after all that time I cannot boot into the Mint partition. It hangs randomly, like the Live CD, on one of three errors:

- AC'97 0 Access Error (not audio or modem codec)
- AC'97 access is not valid [0xffffffff], removing mixer.
- Starting init crypto disks [OK]

I have put in over a dozen hours off an on trying to get Mint on my computer but have run into one problem or another. But I've kept coming back. I think this is my last try with Mint. I really want to get it to work but if I can't I will unfortunately have to find another distro.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
Last edited by vbmark on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Continuing problems trying to install...

Post by nick »

Hi
You could try to blacklist the AC97 as here;

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-365342.html

There is a problem with AC97 on Karmic
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/439156

If you have an onbard modem try disabling that in the Bios

Nick
woodnymph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by woodnymph »

since this may appear to be an issue with the karmic build, which mint is also built on, .. you may try going back to the next previous release in ubuntu/mint
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

I had the same problem, I downloaded two ISO's, the checksum was right and it drove me mad because Mint would not load. Then I noticed that the ISO was a DVD version ! I burned the ISO to DVD and it works a treat !
vbmark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vbmark »

MINT IS INSTALLED!!!!!

It's been a hard climb but worth it. Mint 64 bit is very fast on my computer.

I figured out what all those AC'97 errors were. All of a sudden I remembered that I had an old Sound Blaster Live Value card in the computer that was not connected, I was not using, and was disabled in the BIOS. The BIOS was set to use the built in sound card. So I had just forgotten that it was in there. Well, I removed it and everything works great now.

So, I will be posting a lot of questions to the forum for awhile. I have found this to be one of the best, helpful, and technically savvy communities on the Internet.

Thank you to everyone who participated in helping me,
Mark

Return to “Newbie Questions”