( Solved ) Clean Install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

( Solved ) Clean Install

Post by cakehead » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:45 pm

I am going to do a clean install/upgrade from Mint 7 to Mint 8. At the moment I have two hard drives in my machine, one for my OS and the other for files and I use symbolic links in /home to make back up and re-installs easy. Is it possible to do the same with my mail client and address book (I use Thunderbird) and my bookmarks in firefox ? Thanks John
Last edited by cakehead on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gn2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Clean Install

Post by gn2 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Yes, it's a doddle.
Open your /home, press Ctrl+h and your .hidden folders and files will be revealed.
Copy and paste the .mozilla folders to a safe location e.g. USB flash drive.
After you do the installation of Mint 8 using the same username as you had in Mint 7, just copy and paste your .mozilla folders to your new /home and all your e-mail settings and Firefox settings and add-ons will be transferred.

(you can do this with all your /home config files and folders.

cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Thanks for the quick reply gn2. I am sending this reply from Mint 8 and I did just what you suggested. John

DruKe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DruKe » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Please add resolved to the subject line if you are all taken care of!
:mrgreen:
If your problem has been solved, PLEASE add [SOLVED] to your subject line! It helps everyone!

Return to “Newbie Questions”