Home Network.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Home Network.

Post by altair4 »

Does the win7 in mike-win7r-hp.local mean it's running Windows 7?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

mikeflan Same here, wants password, none I have work
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

altair4 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:15 pm Does the win7 in mike-win7r-hp.local mean it's running Windows 7?
That would be logical, but apparently it has been upgraded to win10. I checked and I am sure of that.
mikeflan Same here, wants password, none I have work
Yeah, I have 3 network passwords over the years and I know which one is the most recent. None of them work.

I am in pretty good shape as it stands right now, so I'm not too terribly worried about it. It's amazing that the decades keep rolling by and they STILL don't have network setup all lined out.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:38 pm It's amazing that the decades keep rolling by and they STILL don't have network setup all lined out.
I don't know why I do this since you really shouldn't be getting Windows advice on a Linux forum but one again I will demonstrate what I did to create a new shared folder on Windows 10 and How I access it.

I created a new folder at C:\Shared2.

Then I created the share by Right Click Shared2 in explorer > Give Access To > Specific People > smbuser > Add > Permissions Level set to Read / Write.

I can check to see if what I thought I did was in fact what I really did by invoking Power Shell > Run as Administrator:
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

Here I check to see if the share permissions and user accessibility are set correctly:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> net share Shared2
Share name Shared2
Path C:\Shared2
Remark
Maximum users No limit
Users smbuser
Caching Manual caching of documents
Permission BUILTIN\Administrators, FULL
Everyone, FULL

The command completed successfully.

Here I check to see if the folder permissions allow the user smbuser write access - and they do:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> icacls Shared2
Shared2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> icacls c:\Shared2
c:\Shared2 VWIN1064\altair:(OI)(CI)(F)
VWIN1064\smbuser:(OI)(CI)(F)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>
And here I connect to that share using smbuser's Windows username and password from Mint20 Cinnamon:

Passing Credentials:
MintCredentialsPrompt.png
Adding a file after connection made:
MintAddFile.png
Look folks I'm really not trying to be a male sex organ about this but I sincerely and truly cannot reproduce your symptoms.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

Thank you. It will be a while until I try this again. My wife just got home and I don't mess with her computer too much when she is here.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

This thread is a bit messy. :mrgreen:
You all have a thread in here about setting up a Samba network.. :wink:
Thread: Samba and Mint20
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=322404

and then you have the thread: Problem after samba update
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=371366

and one thread about setting up Samba network drive in Fstab: [Solved] Setting up a SAMBA share in /etc/fstab to auto mount automatically
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=375505

But it seems as there isn't a step by step guide to set up a Linux-Windows network on this forum.
Perhaps you should make one. 8)
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”