App to read .doc files

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

App to read .doc files

Post by frostymusic »

I have this .doc file that I used Abiword to open, and Libre Office also. The format is wonky, the lines don't line up, the information I am typing in goes into the middle of the form rather than at the beginning. I am using Edge.

Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: App to read .doc files

Post by Cosmo. »

A screenshot would make the issue understandable.
Regarding the text in the middle: Possibly you have set the paragraph format to adjust in the middle.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

.doc is the worst way to have people fill out your forms; unless they have an exact replica of the OP's Word installation. Not the OP of this issue on Linux Mint, but the person who posted the Word doc as a fillable form. It is not your problem that the form fills out from the center. Libre Office tried to provide something close to the original, but it is garbage, and LO is merely putting lipstick on a pig.

The correct fix would be to send it back, have the guy make an Acrobat-fillable form. And you would not have to troubleshoot things on the wrong end. Fix things at the source.

I have worked at a copy center, and this is a common problem: customers come in wondering why they're filling out a form, and it's not formatting correctly. Word was used as the square peg to fit a round hole.

What I end up doing is, I scan the printed form. It gets complicated, so I won't pester you with the fun stuff. But really, you get the idea. That person was not doing anybody any favors by putting it out there as a Word document.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

What to do with those pesky Windows users... :lol:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I am still waiting for the pesky screenshot.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Word Screenshot.png
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

In the starting post you wrote:
frostymusic wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:20 pm The format is wonky, the lines don't line up, the information I am typing in goes into the middle of the form rather than at the beginning.
The screenshot shows nothing about typing in the middle. I also do not know, what might be "wonky". A screenshot with the MS program for comparison might make it clearer.
The only thing I can imagine (too few info to say anything for sure), is that the paper format might be wrong (paper size, width of the edges).
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

I don't know how to do it any differently.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I see the issue, it is the way the table has been formatted by whoever created the document. The text boxes are centre aligned instead of left.

In LibreOffice to change it to left, click in the box where you want to enter text, hold down CTRL+L together.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

There is always an alternative:
1. Print it out.
2. Grab a pen.

The table entries should be for the entries/answers, not the prompts/questions.
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Post by axrusar »

shedyed wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:57 pm The correct fix would be to send it back, have the guy make an Acrobat-fillable form. And you would not have to troubleshoot things on the wrong end. Fix things at the source.
If the form is converted to an acrobat fillable format, you leave the OP using Linux unable to access the file.
If you have any solution to this problem, please report back. I was trying to help another user in the forum with such an issue here.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

axrusar wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:28 am please report back. I was trying to help another user in the forum with such an issue here.
done
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

There was a time when the fillable form was OS-agnostic, and the form can be filled out even in Linux (In Firefox with an extension to set it up properly, but this may not be the case any more).

Return to “Beginner Questions”