How to copy wallpapers in default backgrounds folder ? What file explorer?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rogierx
Level 1
Level 1

How to copy wallpapers in default backgrounds folder ? What file explorer?

Post by rogierx »

how to copy-paste my own wallpapers in the default wallpaper folder? File explorer refuses to paste ...

LM20.3 cinnamon with kernel 5.15 and nemo file explorer

1. started terminal and

Code: Select all

sudo nemo
2. copy-pasted in /usr/share/backgrounds/

The questions are:
A. why does Linux Mint need administrator privileges to copy a few simple .jpg's ?
B. why is it so hard to determine WHAT file explorer we have at hand? The name 'nemo' is nowhere in the menu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to copy wallpapers in default backgrounds folder ? What file explorer?

Post by Cosmo. »

rogierx wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:31 am 1. started terminal and

sudo nemo
A very bad command. Sudo in conjunction with any graphical program leads very quickly to problems with the ownership of your own files. Possible result in the worst case: You cannot login into your own account. So do it never again.

Actually you do not need something like this command for your task. Simply copy your own background pictures in your picture folder, open the background settings and select in the left pane the picture folder (listed at the bottom) as the source for your backgrounds. You can also set the files into a sub-folder of pictures, add this sub-folder to the background settings (note the + sign at the bottom on the left pane) and your done.

To your additional questions:
A. The point are not the "simple jpgs", but the fact, that this is a system folder. But as said, you can place the simple jpgs into your home and you got what you want.

B. There is partially a problem, because Mint tries to localize program names, where this gives more trouble than usefulness. But in this case: Nemo menu -> help -> about. (BTW: a quite usual method, even in Windows.) Be surprised, what you read there.
Besides that: If you open the menu and enter in the search box nemo you get it also (although the name in the menu is different).
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:51 am Besides that: If you open the menu and enter in the search box nemo you get it also (although the name in the menu is different).
If I follow these steps here on my German speaking Linux mint 19.3 Cinnamon and enter nemo in the search field of the Mint Application menu, then the found application will be displayed as "Dateien", in English "Files".

Once you have successfully launched the file-manager, in the menu going to "Hilfe" => "Über", English "Help" => "About", will surprisingly reveal that this is Nemo, version 4.4.3 here on LM 19.3, some higher version on LM 20.3. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
rogierx
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to copy wallpapers in default backgrounds folder ? What file explorer?

Post by rogierx »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:51 am Actually you do not need something like this command for your task. Simply copy your own background pictures in your picture folder, open the background settings and select in the left pane the picture folder (listed at the bottom) as the source for your backgrounds. You can also set the files into a sub-folder of pictures, add this sub-folder to the background settings (note the + sign at the bottom on the left pane) and your done.
Thanks I found it under 'other locations' and then the menu forgets about /usr/share/ which is good because I dont like those pictures.
Cosmo. wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:51 am To your additional questions:
B. There is partially a problem, because Mint tries to localize program names, where this gives more trouble than usefulness. But in this case: Nemo menu -> help -> about. (BTW: a quite usual method, even in Windows.) Be surprised, what you read there.
Besides that: If you open the menu and enter in the search box nemo you get it also (although the name in the menu is different).
Thanks that works but I would prefer another way in Mint, when you start a brand new operation system and you have no clue what the NAME is of the file explorer. It used to be nautilus or konqueror. So now: I dont start the Nemo menu (because I have never heard of Nemo), but start the suggested nameless File Explorer -> help -> about, and only then I find out it is Nemo. After that I can open up a terminal and GUESS that I can run commands starting with 'Nemo'. I suppose we should end here as the topic is changing
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

In English, at least, one doesn't need to know the actual app name of the file manager. Searching on Menu for File ... will find it.

Also, in this particular case, there's an icon for File Manager on panel, so no need to search for anything.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Additionally: to use a file manager as root, rightclick on an empty area in the right side and choose 'Open as root'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There was not the problem to find the file manager, the OP used it already, see the first post. His question was how to find out, how to find the name inside of the program.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

it's better to store them in /home/.local/share/backgrounds/foldernameofyourchoice. you need to show hidden files to see /.local/share in your home directory. backgrounds won't be there but you can create the folder and any folder inside it you like to separate categories of your own images. After doing that, your backgrounds will be available to choose in the dialogue along with the ones you do not like.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

to start as root you can use this command in a terminal also

pkexec nemo
It will ask for your password.
The file structure of Linux keeps pretty much all content out side of your users home directory as needing root privileges.
this is for security reasons. It makes it much harder for people with malicious intent to destroy or modify you file system and infect your computer.
It's one of the reason Linux is more secure that some other OS's. In any event you need to learn more about the Linux file system.
This page can help, https://www.linux.com/training-tutorial ... structure/
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Beginner Questions”