Boot in Timeshift. (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Boot in Timeshift.

Post by HaveaMint »

Where did you see "Boot" into Timeshift? One snapshot a month is all you really need, it doesn't take long to bring any updates up to par.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I assume that creates a snapshot when you start your computer:
boot.png
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

yes, it runs a snapshot 5 minutes after you login to your pc after you start it up (or restart it).

Don't keep too many snapshots or you will find your drive space eaten up in no time. If you let / or /home get too full you may not be able to login to your system. I have mine set to keep 2x daily and 2x boot. Sometimes the two are marked for the same snapshot if it's been a day since you last started the PC. So you'll either have 2, 3 or 4 snapshots saved in total at any one time.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Figures antikythera ( one of the most consistent and top about 30 ish helpful people I've seen on this site ) would knock a home run xD

Chickynuggiez if your question has been answered/resolved please go back and edit your original post to include " solved " or ( solved ) so others will know you're good to go on this topic.

Happy to see it appears via your response that is the case :D. I learned something new in this topic too. Cheers everyone.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

ChickyNuggiez wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:12 pm ... is the 2 timeshifts i use sufficient?
There's no one-size-fits-all answer. How many are sufficient depends on how much you change your system from day-to-day, how often you run updates, whether this is your main computer (meaning you'll notice problems right away) and how good your troubleshooting skills if you discover a week from now an update messed up something. Personally, I think the default of five days is pretty good for most new users. If you want more cushion, add two monthly, which turns out to be anywhere from 1 to 2 month look back (if the latest monthly was taken yesterday, that counts as one of the two).

There's no reason to worry about how many snapshots you have. In effect, Timeshift makes only one copy of each file in the system. Five snapshots where the system hasn't changed take only a trivial amount more space than one snapshot. Where people get in trouble is changing the defaults (especially using Timeshift to backup data files, don't do that) or using a root + home partition scheme based on old tutorials, so the root partition isn't large enough for both the system and snapshots. The solution to the latter problem is to use a larger root partition or save snapshots somewhere else.

Enough abstract comments. You snapshots are saved on some partition or another (if you don't remember, check Settings > Location). How much free space does that partition have? If unsure, open Disks (it's an app on Menu). What does it say?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

antikythera wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:14 pm yes, it runs a snapshot 5 minutes after you login to your pc after you start it up (or restart it).
Correction, it are 10 minutes. Easily to read in the screenshot above.
antikythera wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:14 pm Don't keep too many snapshots or you will find your drive space eaten up in no time.
This shouldn't be a problem, if the partition, where the snapshots get stored, is big enough. This partition must not necessarily be the root or the home partition and in this case it is even impossible, that space drive gets eaten up. Further more: The more often snapshots get created, the even greater part of a snapshot is nothing than a number of additional hard links with 0 byte space needed.

I had given some values about this topic: viewtopic.php?p=2183735#p2183735 In short: 40 GB snapshots for a 15 GB root partition system with 21 snapshots stored.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Yeah, if the partition is big enough. The issue is that in a lot of cases it isn't. You get a number of people posting here that cannot boot or access home because their timeshift snapshots have filled their root or home partition due to taking as much space again as their system files or they were already short on space through a load of personal files in home which quite rightly they want to keep.

It's not always possible to have a separate snapshot partition due to a small HDD or SSD. In those instances, manual rather than scheduled snapshots to external media are the best option.

At least the install guide if anyone bothers reading it these days recommends 100GB for root if you can spare it. Personally I have found 50GB is a decent amount and I have added a fair amount of programs to LMDE5 which when installed already has the equivalent package set to Cinnamon 20.3.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If the partition, where the snapshots get stored, is too small, than even a single snapshot can eat the space up. It obviously needs the currently used space without the swap file. This means, that a size of 20 GB (officially said as minimum requirement) is only good for demonstrating the principle, not for working with that machine.

My first computer with a hard drive had 20 MB (!) space. I remember, that I thought "Boy, you will never fill only the half of it". But, the times they are a-changing (Bob Dylan).
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

We get far too many 'I can't boot' posts from new users where the culprit is timeshift. Now that mint has assumed responsibility for maintenance surely it is not too difficult to do something along the lines of

Code: Select all

if root <= 50GB then;
   invite user to choose a different destination
fi
when timeshift is enabled?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Seems to be a usable way. Perhaps system report can be used for that. Besides that: I am excited to read the minimum requirements for LM 21. I consider the too small root partition as the culprit, not timeshift.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:44 am I consider the too small root partition as the culprit, not timeshift.
Very true. In that respect Timeshift is no different from any other large quantity of data. You can't squeeze a quart into a pint pot, to put it in beer terms. It would be helpful if Timeshift could warn if the space available was insufficient before storing a snapshot.
Cliff Coggin
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

cliffcoggin wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:35 am It would be helpful if Timeshift could warn if the space available was insufficient before storing a snapshot.
Indeed, the irony is it calculates the size of the snapshot before showing drives to select as the destination when you run the setup wizard. So yes, you'd think it would hide small partitions with hardly any space.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@ChickyNuggiez:
Linux reserves 5 % of the space for its own usage. A little math: 5 % of 500 is 25. 102 - 77 = 25. So all is OK.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There has been announced in the blog a tray icon for timeshift. We will have to wait to find out, what it does and what it can.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Boot in Timeshift. (Solved)

Post by AndyMH »

Given that mint has taken responsibility for maintaining timeshift, thereby freeing up Tony George for other things (aptik), where does one report 'bugs' now for timeshift?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:40 am Now that mint has assumed responsibility for maintenance surely it is not too difficult to do something along the lines of

Code: Select all

if root <= 50GB then;
   invite user to choose a different destination
fi
when timeshift is enabled?
Perhaps there is some improvement in the next version, we will have to wait, until it is packaged. See https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift/issues/13
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ChickyNuggiez wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:12 am So will timeshift be letting people know that their snapshots are too large for their Drives, so they dont get locked out from now on?
To early to answer finally, but to my understanding this might be. https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift/issues/13
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

And that's what I call a quick response, fixed:
https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift/issues/23
I assume this will be pushed out as an update to timeshift.

Return to “Beginner Questions”