Is there a menu in MATE and XFCE similar to the Cinnamon privacy settings?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brubakerantive
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a menu in MATE and XFCE similar to the Cinnamon privacy settings?

Post by Brubakerantive »

From the Cinnamon privacy settings, I can toggle recent file logging and connectivity checking. However, I haven't found a similar menu yet in MATE or XFCE. Is there a menu in either DE similar to Cinammon's, or does this mean it's impossible to toggle such privacy settings when using either of them?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is there a menu in MATE and XFCE similar to the Cinnamon privacy settings?

Post by xenopeek »

This is the code: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/b ... privacy.py. For recent files other applets and programs read the org.cinnamon.desktop.privacy settings schema, where these settings are stored. For connectivity checking it uses the NetworkManager API to toggle that setting.

I don't know if MATE or Xfce have a UI for this but otherwise you can work around it. (I'm happy to be surprised if MATE or Xfce do have a UI for this. I don't use either much.)

For recently used files you can use this https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/196004 to disable the feature. Or more brute force this viewtopic.php?p=659998#p659998 to blank the file where recent used files list is stored and then lock it to prevent writing (also root can't write to it).

For connectivity checking if you search for "networkmanager disable connectivity check" you can find solutions. Here is one describing some solutions: https://sleeplessbeastie.eu/2021/04/23/ ... ty-checks/. Either using DBus interface or modifying a system configuration file. I have not tried this.

All that said, only the connectivity checks does something outside your computer. The recently used files list doesn't leave your computer. It's privacy from other people that you let you use your computer.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is there a menu in MATE and XFCE similar to the Cinnamon privacy settings?

Post by Hoser Rob »

As a long term Xfce user I can say pretty confidently that it doesn't have that like Cinnamon, and I don't think Mate does either. That sort of thing is part and parcel of lighter DEs, you just don't get all the features.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”