(Solved) Having trouble updating BIOS on Dell Latitde D600

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Scoops
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Having trouble updating BIOS on Dell Latitde D600

Post by Scoops »

Hi all.

I'm trying to update my BIOS for my Dell D600. I've done a bit of searching on the forums and came across this link.

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Te ... BiosUpdate

I've followed the link to the dell site and managed to get all the details and have got as far as # dellBiosUpdate -u -f ./bios.hdr-2.3.2

I've replaced that with my old bios hdr-2.2.13 and the new one I want to upgrade to hdr-2.2.16

I'm new to the terminal side of things. It appears to run through it but I get an error at the end. No idea what it means or how to rectify it. Do you have any suggestions. Find a copy below of the error I get with hdr-2.2.16

sudo dellBiosUpdate -u -f ./bios.hdr-2.2.16
Performing BIOS update...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/dellBiosUpdate", line 185, in <module>
sys.exit( main() )
File "/usr/sbin/dellBiosUpdate", line 153, in main
exit_code = updateBios(HdrFile(options.hdr), options)
File "<libsmbios_c._peak_util_decorators.rewrap wrapping libsmbios_c.rbu_hdr.__init__ at 0x09127BFC>", line 3, in __init__
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libsmbios_c/trace_decorator.py", line 98, in trace
result = func(*args, **kw)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libsmbios_c/rbu_hdr.py", line 55, in __init__
self.fd = open(filename, "rb")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './bios.hdr-2.2.16'

PS I've also Tried it with just hdr(and nothing after) and also gone back and got the earlier bios 2.2.14 but get the same error.

No doubt it's probably something simple.

Regards,

Daz.
Last edited by Scoops on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoops
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Help, Having trouble updating BIOS on Dell Latitde D600

Post by Scoops »

Bump.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions that may help me move forward with this BIOS update.

Thanks.

Daz.
gees
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gees »

I don't know how you tried to update your BIOS, seems to be from Linux.

You do not need Linux to update a BIOS. The Dell BIOS for the Latitude 600 is here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... NT_PM_D600

Unfortunately it is for WIN. I would just boot the computer with DOS and then apply the D600_A16.exe from DOS.

See here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... 1&impid=-1

Hope this helps.

Edit: from the DELL instruction window:

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment (Non-Windows users)

NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS diskette. This executable file does not create the DOS system files.

1. Copy the file D600_A16.EXE to a bootable floppy.

2. Boot from the floppy to the DOS prompt.

3. Run the file by typing Y:\D600_A16.EXE (where y is the drive letter where the executable is located).
Last edited by gees on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The web was made for sharing ..."
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Post by garda »

This line makes me wonder if you ever cd'd to the directory where you keep the BIOS file:

Code: Select all

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './bios.hdr-2.2.16'
In Nautilus (the file manager), navigate to the directory then right-click and choose Open in Terminal. Then enter the command again.
Scoops
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scoops »

Thanks guys, not there yet though.

Garda, I'm trying but not sure I'm doing the right thing.

Opened Nautilus Actions Configuration, Selected Add and navigated to file. I couldn't right click and select to open in terminal so tried to open from there all I get is an error message.

"Can't load icon from file /home/darren/Documents/bios.hdr !

Unrecognised image file format "

I originally had the file on the desktop and got the same result so moved it to documents. Not sure If it's necessary or whether I'm doing the right thing, still trying to learn :)

gees, I'm a bit gutted I deleted xp the other week (mind you I hadn't booted into it for months) but at the same time this is making me learn new skills (when I get there). From what you have said, am I right in thinking I will have to install DOS before I can create a Boot disk with the Bios file included. Got no floppy so will start looking at how to do it on CD.

Thanks for your pointers and I'd e grateful if you could guide me further. Hopefully one of the ways will work.

Regards,

Daz.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Post by garda »

Okay, I should've been a bit more specific. Since you keep the BIOS file in /home/darren/Documents/, you should navigate to /home/darren using Nautilus then right-click on the Documents directory and choose Open in Terminal. Finally, just to be even more specific, be certain that you did not skip or miss the first four steps described on the wiki page that's linked to in your original post.

Perhaps breaking down the commands string in question will help you better understand the deal:
sudo is short for super-user do, meaning execute the succeeding commands in the line with super-user privileges.
dellBiosUpdate calls the BIOS updater program.
-u tells the BIOS updater to perform a BIOS update.
-f tells the BIOS updater to take the update from a file.
./file.hdr specifies path to and name of the BIOS file. The ./ sign means the file is in the current working directory.

If the BIOS file is called bios.hdr, then you have to change the command a little bit:

Code: Select all

sudo dellBiosUpdate -u -f ./bios.hdr
Scoops
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Help, Having trouble updating BIOS on Dell Latitde

Post by Scoops »

Garda, Thank you so much, It's worked. Now I can update the CPU when it arrives in the next few days. That will be fun and no doubt throw up a few queries.

I'll run through what I did just in case it helps anyone in the future.

I ran through the process as described in the following link but paused at the "Update the Bios" section.

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Te ... BiosUpdate

From there I Navigated to the Home Folder and as Garda suggested I right clicked on the Documents folder (which is where I had stored my bios.hdr file). About 2/3rds of the way down the Drop down Menu I selected "Open in Terminal". Terminal then popped up. From there, again as Garda suggested I ran

sudo dellBiosUpdate -u -f ./bios.hdr

It worked with out any hitches and then recommended I reboot.

sudo reboot then rebooted the system

The Dell Bios update screen flashed up and after about 30 seconds the system went dead.

I powered it up and hey presto, New Dell BIOS version A16 was done.

Thanks for the pointers Garda, I really appreciate it.
It's easy to panic when you're not sure what you are doing. I'm sure you know what I mean.

All the best,

Daz.
WhatAmIDoingNow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Solved) Having trouble updating BIOS on Dell Latitde D6

Post by WhatAmIDoingNow »

In a two day long effort to use an old Dell Optiplex260 as a NAS for the house, I needed to get the BIOS updated to be able to boot from a usb stick.

Just wanted to say thanks.

Return to “Newbie Questions”