Extra Typographical Characters [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jloflin
Level 1
Level 1

Extra Typographical Characters [SOLVED]

Post by jloflin »

I turned on the extra typographical characters in the keyboard app. The extra characters show in the keyboard layout graphic, but I can't figure out how to access the extra characters. I've tried key combinations, sequences, rebooting and nothing seems to work.

Can someone tell me how to get the extra characters to work?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Extra Typographical Characters

Post by Cosmo. »

The answer is not possible, if you do not provide some information:

At first the version of Mint and the desktop environment.

At second a precise description, what you mean. Where did you turned something on?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

If the symbols in the keyboard layout picture show on the right side of the keys, AltGr+<key> and AltGr+Shift+<key> would tend to be the default setup. If you don't have an AltGr key it'll be the Right-Alt key.

If it doesn't work specify your layout; we recently had a Norwegian layout issue in which the 3rd-level switcher wasn't in fact set by default.
jloflin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jloflin »

I am using Linux Mint 20.3, Cinnamon Desktop.

In the Mint Menu, under Preferences, I clicked on 'Keyboard'. I clicked the 'Layouts' tab and then clicked the options button in the lower right hand corner. Under 'Miscellaneous compatibility options', I clicked on 'Enable extra typographical characters'. Then I closed the keyboard layout options page. I clicked on the layout in the left panel, English (US) and clicked the keyboard button at the bottom of that panel (far right button). A keyboard layout window comes up which shows all the keys and what they output when pressed. The extra characters are visible on the keyboard layout, but I am not able to output them.

I don't have AltGr+<key>, I tried the Right-Alt+key with the 'c' key to output the copyright symbol in the text editor and it does not work.

Anything else I should try?

Thanks.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Not currently near a system anymore where I can view effects of that option you mention, but if you're using a physical US-English keyboard you may in any case want to use the altgr-intl software layout for access to at least many international symbols; see viewtopic.php?p=2159851#p2159851.

FWIW; can only later check what the "extra typographical" characters are that option you mention refers to -- but certainly AltGr+c is the copyright symbol then at least.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Without a AltGr key you need to define (also in options) a key for the 3rd level. Select one, which is appropriate for you.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I'm currently often not on Cinnamon which makes this a pain to test but when I just now added plain "English (US)" the third-level switcher key was set to AltGr/Right-Alt by default. When I then removed it again and re-added it, it all of a sudden wasn't, so frankly no idea what's going on there (edit: believe I just saw that those options are not in fact layout-specific, which seems really, really daft but at least explains the difference: the 3rd level switcher will/may carry over from a previously set layout).

Poster, if you don't have a third-level switcher key set, do so in that same options dialogue, "Key to choose the 3rd level" (and for the sake of all that's good and fluffy in that case set it to Right-Alt). However, while certainly AltGr+c then works to get you ©, for example AltGr+r (here) still doesn't work to get me ® as the layout picture promises. It seems the current XKB keyboard layouts are quite buggy.

Having looked at it now I'd as above said/linked advise to not use "English (US)" with the extra typographical keys, but "English (US), English (intl., with AltGr dead keys)" -- although I guess I now need to advise to also make sure that it does in your case set the 3rd level switcher to Right-Alt by default when you select that one.
jloflin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jloflin »

Thanks!

Based on your suggestion, I was able to select the Left Windows key to enable the 3rd level selection and it now works. © ® ∞ ² etc. are all available to me now.

Thanks again!

Return to “Beginner Questions”