How can I create a personal iso setup file?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_lover
Level 1
Level 1

How can I create a personal iso setup file?

Post by linux_lover »

hello friends, I have been a linux mint user for many years and I just joined you.

I want to create my own personal installation iso file over the Linux mint iso setup file. Like adding programs I want, deleting programs I don't want. Is it possible? What steps do I need to do for this, can you help me? thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How can I create a personal iso setup file?

Post by antikythera »

OEM install works the same way as a regular install, it just creates an extra OEM account which you delete from a shortcut icon on the desktop after configuring the system post install.

To refactor the ISO itself you could try CUBIC - https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/h ... -mint.html
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The big question is what do you want to change? For many changes, you could use the standard installation followed by a post install configuration script. The script can then be reused for new releases of LM and for different versions, Cinnamon, MATE, etc.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I know exactly what OEM install does because I use it regularly. By configuring post install, I mean dealing with machine specific tweaks to config files for hardware support and performance improvements and updating, adding/removing packages as necessary.

You can just install the contents of the Mint ISO and then click the ship to customer icon after the first boot by all means, so you have both options. Customise the contents of the system or leave it alone :)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Yeah I used to use the Fedora ISO build tools until they changed it for some convoluted system instead.

CUBIC does similar to the fedora ISO tools but remains simpler

Manjaro's tools are the simplest I have come across for command line based ISO builds. Obviously not transferable to Mint unfortunately.
linux_lover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_lover »

Thanks for the answers guys. I know this is a difficult process, but I'm investigating. This teaches me new things.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Have a look at systemback:
https://linuxhint.com/create-iso-curren ... %20option.
there is also respin, but it has next to no documentation.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
linux_lover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_lover »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:49 am Have a look at systemback:
https://linuxhint.com/create-iso-curren ... %20option.
there is also respin, but it has next to no documentation.
So, after taking iso backup from my own computer in this way, will I have a driver problem while installing on another computer? Thank you.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

linux_lover wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:34 am So, after taking iso backup from my own computer in this way, will I have a driver problem while installing on another computer? Thank you.
Not if you do not install proprietary drivers and/or blacklist any others
MaranBr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MaranBr »

linux_lover wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:16 am hello friends, I have been a linux mint user for many years and I just joined you.

I want to create my own personal installation iso file over the Linux mint iso setup file. Like adding programs I want, deleting programs I don't want. Is it possible? What steps do I need to do for this, can you help me? thanks
Hi,

I think this is what you want.

https://github.com/MaranBr/Systemback

This is a great tool and I use it a lot at the company where I work. As the original project is no longer maintained by the creator, I decided to make some modifications and compile it natively for Mint.

I haven't tested it much yet, but it's working perfectly for my work scenario.

Feel free if you want to try it out.

Return to “Beginner Questions”