system wont post correctly after installing nvidia drivers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tsao
Level 1
Level 1

system wont post correctly after installing nvidia drivers

Post by tsao »

Hello,

I've decided to try mint. However, I'm having issues. Everything runs great until I update my Nvidia drivers. Then my system boots up, says "out of memory," and hangs on the MSI logo. So, I have to reinstall the OS. I've gone through this a few times now.

Before switching to mint, I had run Debian and Ubuntu on this system without any issues. So it's not my hardware, I've tried googling around to find a solution, but I'm having no luck.

After installing a fresh Linux mint, I bring up the driver manager. It has the [xserv-xorg-video-nouveau] driver installed, so I click on the recommended one, Nvidia-driver-515, install that then reboot.

This time around, I've updated the kernel first, rebooted, then updated all software on the system, rebooting again. Everything is running fine. However, I need to update my Nvidia driver.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help again is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: system wont post correctly after installing nvidia drivers

Post by Dan-cer »

Welcome to this forum!
Do I understand you correctly: you had problems installing the drivers, but you were able to solve them yourself?
Was "out of memory" a wrong message? I think it was about RAM, wasn't it?
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Before switching to mint, I had run Debian and Ubuntu on this system without any issues
Then try the 470.XX.X driver instead, since that is what Debian 11 and LMDE5 still offer as the latest. Therefore your system which is not working with 515.XX.X should work again with the 470.XX.X
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

tsao wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:39 amI've decided to try mint.
Welcome to the forum, tsao.

Please tell us what "mint" you are trying. We need to know the version number and the desktop environment (Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce).

If you are using MATE on an LM20.x version of Linux Mint, there are known issues with the Nvidia-515 driver, but there is a workaround available.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solanic »

Hi SMG

What is the work around for 515?

Thank you.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

solanic wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:29 pm Hi SMG

What is the work around for 515?
There is no workaround needed for Mint 21. The problem happens only in Mint 20 versions.
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solanic »

Copy.

Do you know of any issues using 515 in 21?

Thank you.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

solanic wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:44 pmDo you know of any issues using 515 in 21?
I am not aware of any.

I posted in your topic. One person per topic, please. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”