Secure Boot and M.2 drive dual boot with windows 11

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JCox
Level 1
Level 1

Secure Boot and M.2 drive dual boot with windows 11

Post by JCox »

Hi,
Currently I have Windows 11 installed on my PC on my M.2 SSD. I really want to try Linux Mint so I thought I would install it on my other drive.

I have heard you have to disable secure boot and then make a custom parition table on the other drive to install Linux mint.

However I remember last time I disabled secure boot, Windows 11 stopped booting as my UEFI stopped listing the M.2 drive in the boot order, and the only way to fix it was to reinstall Windows 11 while secure boot is enabled. (I had not installed linux Mint at that point.)

So is this correct: To install Linux mint, I have to disable secure boot, install Linux Mint and then everything should work fine? Including the dual boot with Windows 11?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Secure Boot and M.2 drive dual boot with windows 11

Post by pbear »

You don't have to disable secure boot to install Mint. The boot loader is registered by Ubuntu and works fine.

What's a bit complicated are certain other components, e.g., codecs, which have to be authorized with MOK (machine owner keys). Someone else will have to explain that process, or you could so your own research, as I always disable secure boot. Ubuntu Wiki will get you started.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

JCox wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:45 pm then make a custom parition table on the other drive to install Linux mint.
I think you are talking about an EFI partition on your other drive. Using the default 'erase and install' on your other drive, mint will use the EFI partition on your win drive for grub (the linux bootloader). If you want to put grub in it's own EFI partition on another drive (a good idea) then you would need to create the partitions on the drive in advance and install with the 'something else' option. Note there was a bug in the LM20 installer where it put grub in the first EFI partition it found, not what you tell it. Don't know if this has been fixed in the LM21 installer.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:46 am Don't know if this has been fixed in the LM21 installer.
Not fixed. On the contrary, worse. Now does the same thing even if the live session is booted in legacy mode (e.g., with a view to installing to USB drive). All that mucking around with the installer and Ubuntu couldn't be bothered to fix a bug now nearly ten years old. :roll:
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

So we have to apply the same workarounds when UEFI boot to a second drive (disconnect first drive or disable esp & boot flags). What does it do with legacy boot to a second drive, previously it used to behave and put grub on the drive you specified? You had previously reported on it complaining about the lack of an EFI partition (when it doesn't need one for legacy boot) :(
Not tested it myself yet.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JCox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JCox »

Ok I'll install Linux Mint when I am free next. I will keep secure boot on in the UEFI settings. I will setup the partitions in the Linux mint installer on choose something else. I will remove all other drives so Linux Mint does not install to the first EFI partition found and instead the one I tell it.

I also heard that sometimes there are issues with secure boot if you have an NIVIDA graphics card. So shall I just keep to the default drivers?
Thanks.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

I'm sure Nvidia drivers can be authorized by MOK also, I just don't know how. Do a forum search, e.g., nvidia secure boot.
JCox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JCox »

pbear wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:02 pm I'm sure Nvidia drivers can be authorized by MOK also, I just don't know how. Do a forum search, e.g., nvidia secure boot.
I may just follow the guide you sent at the top that explained how to disable secure boot from the Ubuntu Wiki. I shall take a look at the NVIDIA drivers authorization too. But secure boot seems to be a lot of hassle to ensure everything works.

Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”