The beginning of being a beginner - Why are the Home and File System folders underlined?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

The beginning of being a beginner - Why are the Home and File System folders underlined?

Post by valiantgenomics »

Yesterday I Installed Linux for the very first time in my life. Moved away from spycrosoft windows for good.

Linux is unequivocally my new permanent home from now on. I love it.

However, I'm such a beginner that I can't even look up stuff because I don't know the nomenclature/names of the different items, i.e. directories, folders, etc. Yes, my Linux autodidactic protocols are being implemented as we speak, but in the mean time I wanted to find a resolution to this issue.

This is probably a room-temperature IQ question on my behalf but... Why are the Home and File System folders underlined? It's driving my OCD crazy. I would like to remove that underline. Is it something to do with root access? Check screenshot:

As I said I tried looking up a solution to this but I can't phrase the question correctly and I get totally irrelevant results.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The beginning of being a beginner - Why are the Home and File System folders underlined?

Post by Marie SWE »

Welcome to the Forum and the world of Linux.
It is an indicator that shows how much of the disk/partition is used.

and we all start as beginners, so no worry about the question. :wink:
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: The beginning of being a beginner - Why are the Home and File System folders underlined?

Post by Pierre »

Hi valiantgenomics,
welcome to our forum.
:)

now, that you have tried our LinuxMint System
- we have to Tell You something Important:

Rule #1
Linux is Not Windows.
:mrgreen:

NB: you now have to memorise this rule,
for an understanding of why this is < problem > is different, to what you are expecting.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
smawgmaw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by smawgmaw »

Welcome to the forum and the world of Linux!
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Marie SWE wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:15 pm Welcome to the Forum and the world of Linux.

Ahh, of course... I didn't even notice the little colouring which shows the amount being used. Thanks for pointing that out!!

Is there a way to remove that though? I don't want to see these visual indicators of the amount used. It's a major eye sore every time I open my files.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Pierre wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:24 pm Hi valiantgenomics,
welcome to our forum.
:)

now, that you have tried our LinuxMint System
- we have to Tell You something Important:

Rule #1
Linux is Not Windows.
:mrgreen:

NB: you now have to memorise this rule,
for an understanding of why this is < problem > is different, to what you are expecting.
Thank you! Yes, LinuxMint is just superior to Windows in every regard, at least in my opinion.

And I have the opportunity to be a beginner once more!
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

smawgmaw wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:50 pm Welcome to the forum and the world of Linux!
Thanks!!! It's an exciting road ahead!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

My Home doesn't have an indicator line. I wanna know why I'm being cheated!

By the way, in future, please indicate which version of Mint you're using, e.g., Cinnamon 21 (or whatever).

FWIW, Mate uses a different File Manager and doesn't have those indicators. OTOH, it might do something else you dislike more.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@pbear: Most likely, because you do not have a separate partition for home. So there is nothing to indicate, what the indicator for the file system does not also tells.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

valiantgenomics wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:51 am Is there a way to remove that though?
Not to my knowledge.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

As said, you could try switching to Mate, if that is a huge annoyance for you.
I have Mate and Cinnamon on this computer but I use Mate for everyday stuff.
I prefer Mate because I'm more used to it, but I don't notice a lot of difference between the two.
greentea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greentea »

valiantgenomics wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:51 am Is there a way to remove that though?
I think the point is that any partition that has been Opened / Mounted will have that underline in the Nemo file manager.
Don't know if that looks different in Mate or xfce.
Mint 21.3 Cinnamon primary; 21.3 xfce & LMDE 6 installed; home built Core i5-9600K with Asus TUF Z390-Plus Gaming Wi-Fi; RAM 16 GB; Intel UHD Graphics 630; system on: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 500GB; storage & backup on: WD Black 1TB
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

valiantgenomics wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:51 am
Marie SWE wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:15 pm Welcome to the Forum and the world of Linux.

Ahh, of course... I didn't even notice the little colouring which shows the amount being used. Thanks for pointing that out!!

Is there a way to remove that though? I don't want to see these visual indicators of the amount used. It's a major eye sore every time I open my files.
Most things in linux is possible, but when it comes to easy ways.. then it's not. :wink:
If you really-really-really hate that indicator you can switch out the File manager in Cinnamon to Thunar or Caja.. they don't have that indicator.
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

valiantgenomics wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:05 pm ... I'm such a beginner that I can't even look up stuff because I don't know the nomenclature/names of the different items...
That's completely normal. And not just for Linux. There's a lot of bad and/or outdated information out there on the web, and how can you tell the difference if you don't know much about the topic yet? Ironically, searching the web is really best when it's a subject you already know something about.

That's why Linux support forums are so important.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

valiantgenomics wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:51 amIs there a way to remove that though? I don't want to see these visual indicators of the amount used. It's a major eye sore every time I open my files.
I use "Show Treeview" (second icon from left at the bottom of the Nemo window) and didn't even realize what you were talking about until I switched to the "Show Places" icon (far left icon at the bottom of the Nemo window). There's no line in the treeview.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:05 am @pbear: Most likely, because you do not have a separate partition for home.
Makes sense, thanks.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

decrepit wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:33 am As said, you could try switching to Mate, if that is a huge annoyance for you.
I have Mate and Cinnamon on this computer but I use Mate for everyday stuff.
I prefer Mate because I'm more used to it, but I don't notice a lot of difference between the two.
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks!
Marie SWE wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:59 am Most things in linux is possible, but when it comes to easy ways.. then it's not. :wink:
If you really-really-really hate that indicator you can switch out the File manager in Cinnamon to Thunar or Caja.. they don't have that indicator.
I've been tinkering non-stop and customising my desktop environment for the past 4-5 days. I initially didn't realise that I can actually download different file managers. I've been so indoctrinated to the Windows system that I just accepted the default file manager as the sole option lol :lol: But after approx. a week since I moved to Linux, my worldview has expanded exponentially. The taste of freedom is inimitable :)
Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:29 am That's completely normal. And not just for Linux. There's a lot of bad and/or outdated information out there on the web, and how can you tell the difference if you don't know much about the topic yet? Ironically, searching the web is really best when it's a subject you already know something about.
That's why Linux support forums are so important.
Yeah, you read my thoughts. I'm looking at the issue and the only thing I can type in the search bar is "How to change/fix this thingy right here" :lol: But I'm learning at an accelerated rate since I'm devoting 10+ hours a day just to study Linux. So I'm getting the hang of the most basic basics!
SMG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:59 am I use "Show Treeview" (second icon from left at the bottom of the Nemo window) and didn't even realize what you were talking about until I switched to the "Show Places" icon (far left icon at the bottom of the Nemo window). There's no line in the treeview.
Ah, good catch! Thanks for pointing that out!

Return to “Beginner Questions”