Finding files

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Finding files

Post by Blueflare »

I am struggling to work out how to find certain files. If I am in File manager I can go into the Documents folder etc, but what if I want to see the files held by another program?
Example: I have Icedrive installed, it is listed in the program menu and I can access it from there, but how do I access it from File manager?
I see 'Other Locations' but that does not lead me to other programs.

I know if I go to File System, then media I can access my external drive, but where are other locations?

Sorry if this does not make sense, I think I just confused myself writing this.....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Finding files

Post by Cosmo. »

Other locations can be network resources, if you are connected.

I do not understand, what you really want. What do want to find? The files, which belong to the executable program? Something else?
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Since you give Icedrive as an example, I understand you as follows:
You have a cloud service similar to Dropbox or MEGAsync and want to sync files with the cloud. I have in the file manager (Nemo) special folders for Dropbox and MEGA. See screenshot below.
These special folders were set up when configuring/installing Dropbox and MEGA. In doing so, I was able to specify where this folder should be. By default in /home/<user> in both cases.

How to do that with Icedrive, I don't know - yet. It seems to go a bit differently, not as a folder, but as a drive. Maybe like an FTP connection. Nevertheless, it should also be found in the file manager.
dropbox-mega.jpg
dropbox-mega.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 519 times
EDIT://
I did some research and found this:
Icedrive creates a virtual drive. It does not have a sync folder like Dropbox or MEGA.
It is not integrated within the File Manager.
In the File Manager you will only find the launcher file to launch the app.
But you should find that easier in the program menu, probably under "Internet".
If you want to upload files or folders, you obviously have to do it within the Icedrive app. Not in the file manager of Mint.

There are 2 installation methods for Icedrive:
1. as AppImage
2. as a flatpak
Which one did you use?

EDIT2://
Here is a tutorial link for installation, that talks about using too: https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... ice-drive/
It gives me another hint that Icedrive is in no way to be used together with Nemo file manager. It is a portable virtual drive, like an external operating system. There is no need to show up in Nemo on the left, together with other mounted or unmounted drives, because there is no interface to use it in Nemo.
Last edited by Dan-cer on Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blueflare »

Sorry for the confusion, I grew up on Windows, for some reason, there are parts of Linux I am not getting yet...

Here is an example of what happens a lot.
Let's say I am using Libre Writer, I want to save the file to in this case Icedrive, but it might be somewhere else too.
I click on Save As, Which brings up the File manager panel, in there is no option to choose the program to save in, only Desktop Documents Downloads etc

So how do I save where I want?
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blueflare »

Yes, you are correct Icedrive uses its own virtual drive, I have that and it is listed in the program menu.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You cannot save a file into a program, not even in Windows, but on a place in the filesystem, in Linux inside of your home. For a Writer document the proper place would normally be the folder Documents, or a subfolder, which you create.
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blueflare »

Ah, I think the penny is dropping, in Windows programs create a folder in the file system where your files are saved. In Linux, you have to make one yourself. Is that correct?

If so how would the Icedrive app know the files were there? Or am I still missing a bit...

Edit: I think Icedrive has put a folder in downloads called Icedrive edits, so maybe this works the same as Mega sync which I also have.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Blueflare wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:04 am In Linux, you have to make one yourself. Is that correct?
Not necessarily. You can also use of the default folders like Documents, as I already wrote. Inside of your home you are completely free, where you store which file.

I do not use Icedrive, so I cannot say anything about it.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

If you create a document with LibreOffice Writer, which you then want to upload with Icedrive, it makes sense to create a folder and save the document there.
So for example /home/<user>/Documents/Icedrive/
Or: /home/<user>/Icedrive/
As cosmo already said: You can create any folder in your /home - directory.

So you save the LibreOffice document in the newly created directory /home/<user>/Icedrive/:
/home/<user>/Icedrive/<document.odt>
You can find it there in the File Manager (Nemo) and you can also find it with the Icedrive app.
You have to start Icedrive, log in and then use the Icedrive file manager to find the file and upload it.

All future files you want to upload can be saved within this created Icedrive-folder. Maybe you can mark it as "favorite" inside Icedrive.
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blueflare »

Ok great, I now understand how to make the folders and save to them, that is now clear, thanks all.

With Icedrive, I have made a folder in Documents as you suggested, but on opening the Icedrive app I do not see it there, how does Icedrive know where to look for the folder I made?

The folder called Icedrive Edits, appeared in my downloads folder, I did not put it there, is this supposed to sync with the Icedrive app?
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

I do not know Icedrive, you write that you created the folder with Icedrive?
My idea was and is to do it with Linux file manager. Because Icedrive is a virtual drive that reads / can read the folder structure in Linux (in your case, otherwise in Windows or wherever).
As I said, I do not know the app. But I suspect you CANNOT use Icedrive to store folders directly in your Linux home directory.

Anyway: Create the Icedrive directory with Nemo (file manager). Store there all the files you created with LibreOffice or any other program. Or all the files you want to upload or have already uploaded.

And then you go to the Icedrive app, login, browse to the Icedrive directory you created and do your uploads.

BTW: I suspect Icedrive is somehow complicated. What do you think? In MEGA you just copy or move any file or folder into the local MEGA folder and that's it.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I suggest you go to Youtube and type in Icedrive.
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blueflare »

No, I created a folder called Icedrive myself in Documents within file manager, which I think you are saying I should do.
Just to be sure I am correct, I went to documents (in file manager) clicked a new folder and named it Icedrive. Hope this is the right way.

Then, I do not see that folder within the Icedrive app. I appreciate you do not use that program, but am grateful for your assistance.

I have used Mega for years, but for the last few months Mega sync has not worked, and on the web, it is taking a long time to allow logging in, which many are complaining about, this is why I am trying Icedrive.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Blueflare wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:30 am No, I created a folder called Icedrive myself in Documents within file manager, which I think you are saying I should do.
Just to be sure I am correct, I went to documents (in file manager) clicked a new folder and named it Icedrive. Hope this is the right way.
It is OK. But you can do it more easily: If you have the dialog to save a document open, you find in the upper right an icon to create a new folder inside of the currently selected one.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

You make me curious which Linux folders are shown in Icedrive.

It reminds me of my difficulty in recognizing the folder structure in smartphones. This has - although Linux-based - little recognition effect with Linux-desktop. The visible structure in smartphones is based on themes: Pictures, Documents, Videos, Music, Chat, etc. These themed folders also exist in the desktop. But the embedding in the folder hierarchy is hard to see through in smartphones.

Maybe it's similar in Icedrive?
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blueflare »

Actually, there are no Linux folders showing in the Icedrive app, it is just a replica of what is on the web version. If I select the upload folder and choose one manually from Linus, then yes it uploads the content, but I thought it was supposed to read the Linux file system. i.e this folder called Icedrive Edit which I did not make. I assume Icedrive edit/Mega sync
should do the same thing.

But, as I said Mega sync no longer works either, so maybe I goofed something up!
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blueflare »

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:36 am
Blueflare wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:30 am No, I created a folder called Icedrive myself in Documents within file manager, which I think you are saying I should do.
It is OK. But you can do it more easily: If you have the dialog to save a document open, you find in the upper right an icon to create a new folder inside of the currently selected one.
Wow! great tip, I had not noticed that!
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Recently I had a minor problem with MEGA: When I clicked on the systray icon, it disappeared. After reinstalling it worked again, but overall it always works.
Blueflare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blueflare »

Ok, I got Mega working again thanks to Dan-Cer's suggestion, maybe I will play around with Icedrive before deciding which way to go.

One final question regarding the Home folder, my understanding is I can put anything in there that I wish, but currently, there are lots of other folders with names like .hplip .hypnotix .openjfx, etc. Do I have to leave those in there or can I tidy up a bit?
Or should I make a new folder within Home and then lots of subfolders of my choosing?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Folders with a leading . in the name are hidden folders. By pressing ctrl-h in the file manager you can switch, if they shall get displayed or not. Most of the files in the hidden folders are for settings and history purposes, but there are also some of them, in which e.g. your emails (if you use an e-mail client) are stored.

For the beginning I strongly recommend to not touch them; as soon, as you are more familiar with Linux, you can see, if the one or other is of interest for you. Possibly you will use them only by advice.

Return to “Beginner Questions”