LInux mint 21 Xfce Bad icon [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AverageLinuxUser09
Level 1
Level 1

LInux mint 21 Xfce Bad icon [SOLVED]

Post by AverageLinuxUser09 »

Hello i just installed Linux mint Xfce 3days ago. I wanted to install an browser so installed Brave it was a bit laggy on my PC so decided to uninstall it. I did that from the terminal using some help from the internet. After that the brave browser icon is still there in the start menu. I opened it but nothing happened i then i looked on how to remove it and found a question related to this on the forum(viewtopic.php?t=312913) nothing worked for me so i decided to post for some help here

Will be very much thankful for your help :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: LInux mint 21 Xfce Bad icon

Post by pbear »

Welcome to the Forum.

Hard to answer the particular question asked, as we don't know how you uninstalled Brave. I just did a trial install-and-remove (in a virtual machine) and it worked fine, with no lingering icon on Menu. It helps, of course, that I have a bit more experience with this stuff. 8) The command you should have used, by the way, was apt purge brave*. Or you could have used Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager.

Be that as it may, you are where you are. The simplest solution would be to restore a Timeshift snapshot. If you didn't set that up (when prompted to by the Welcome screen), frankly, it will be faster to reinstall than try to repair what you have. After reinstall, set up Timeshift. :wink:
AverageLinuxUser09
Level 1
Level 1

Hi thank u for your help :D

I didn't set up a Timeshift snapshot when prompted by the welcome screen. I will keep that in my mind for the next time. So if i am not wrong to reinstall i would just have to boot from the usb that was used to install and there will be some option to "reinstall" or are there any other steps. If u know can you link a tutorial for it here or tell me the steps.

Thanks
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

The command pbear mentioned would take it from the beginning, no bad icon left.

But in that other thread, well he's talking about wine, but in your case you can probably find it the same way related to brave: viewtopic.php?p=1767420#p1767420
AverageLinuxUser09
Level 1
Level 1

Hey thanks for your reply :D

I had tried that command before posting here the output is "Unable to locate brave". So Idk what's happening because that icon has no trace in my system but its still hanging

Thanks
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

AverageLinuxUser09 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:51 am ... there will be some option to "reinstall" ...
As it happens, yes, there is such an option.
Reinstall-Option.png
If that changes in future, or you look at another version of Linux, you can always reinstall by ... installing again.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Reinstalling system over a redundant shortcut seems to me a wee bit too radical a solution :roll:

if, AverageLinuxUser09, you followed the official installation instructions on how to install Brave on Mint, you should only type

sudo rm -f /usr/share/applications/brave-browser.desktop in terminal to get rid of the "bad icon".
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

The issue isn't the icon per se. It's the fact that ALU99 doesn't know what he did to remove Brave, so there's no way to know the state of the package management system. Meanwhile, reinstall on a new system doesn't take long. Anyhoo, it's your system ALU99, you may do as you like. If you're going to try to save this installation, might as well remove Brave from Software Sources also. Good luck.
AverageLinuxUser09
Level 1
Level 1

Heyy so my bad i read the post earlier that i mentioned viewtopic.php?t=312913 . In which there was a mention for Menu Editor. I opened it and then (I don't remember the exact terms which were there). It prompted me that there was some error in the start menu. I followed that prompt and a window opened which had files with names of the applications in there i found the file for brave browser and deleted it then from which the icon was not there in the start menu

Well...so :? thanks everyone for ur time

I"ll mark this one as Solved

Return to “Beginner Questions”