What do these 'apt search' codes mean?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pattonia
Level 1
Level 1

What do these 'apt search' codes mean?

Post by pattonia »

While doing a search to find if I have a package installed, I find these single-letter codes in the leftmost column; what do they mean? Where might I find a complete listing of them? The apt manpage doesn't seem to describe them.

Code: Select all

> sudo apt search geos
p   geos-bin                                                                                                       - Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - Utilities                                                           
p   libgeos++-dev                                                                                                  - Geometry engine for GIS - C++ development files                                                                          
p   libgeos-3.8.0                                                                                                  - Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C++ Library                                                         
p   libgeos-3.8.1                                                                                                  - Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C++ Library                                                         
p   libgeos-3.9.0                                                                                                  - Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C++ Library                                                         
p   libgeos-3.9.1                                                                                                  - Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C++ Library                                                         
i   libgeos-c1v5                                                                                                   - Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C Library                                                           
i   libgeos-dev                                                                                                    - Geometry engine for GIS - Development files                                                                              
p   libgeos-doc                                                                                                    - Documentation for the GEOS GIS geometry engine library                                                                   
p   libgeos3.10.1                                                                                                  - Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C++ Library                                                         
i A libgeos3.10.2                                                                                                  - Geometry engine for Geographic Information Systems - C++ Library                                                         
p   php-geos                                                                                                       - GEOS bindings for PHP                                                                                                    
p   r-cran-geosphere                                                                                               - GNU R Spherical Trigonometry
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: What do these 'apt search' codes mean?

Post by zcot »

In your example, p means this is an available package, not installed.

i means that one is installed.

the i A one was Automatically installed, almost certainly because one of those other packages, and most likely the first one.

You can find the info digging through the man pages starting with apt-get and continuing through about 4 other tools. I think man aptitude has the most complete, incomplete listing. lol

you can just check here: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apti ... 02.en.html
pattonia
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What do these 'apt search' codes mean? [SOLVED]

Post by pattonia »

zcot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:49 am In your example, p means this is an available package, not installed.

i means that one is installed.

the i A one was Automatically installed, almost certainly because one of those other packages, and most likely the first one.

You can find the info digging through the man pages starting with apt-get and continuing through about 4 other tools. I think man aptitude has the most complete, incomplete listing. lol

you can just check here: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apti ... 02.en.html
Thanks very much for the reply!

Return to “Beginner Questions”