Login Screen Wallpaper[Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Digimonster984
Level 1
Level 1

Login Screen Wallpaper[Solved]

Post by Digimonster984 »

Sooooo...searching around google and these fourms I see this question come up alot but I've yet to find a solution that works.

I just upgraded to Mint 21, though had the same issue when I was running 20.3

I am trying to get a wallpaper for my login screen. I have tried using the login window settings. I have tried using programs like variety. Nothing seems to work. The only thing I haven't been able to try is to move the image file to usr/share/backgrounds folder but it tells me I don't have permission to access the folder. One post I read said I need 'Elevated Privileges' to do so, but I do not know how to do that, not being able to use sudo in terminal. Sorry if this is a newb question. So my question is, will moving the file to the backgrounds folder something that will work? If so, how? If not, what should I do? I'm not trying to do anything fancy, just setting a image file as my login screen photo.

Thank you!

Edit: Figured it out. For anyone else having this issue, right click on the usr/share/backgrounds folder and select "Open as root" put in your password to be able to copy your image file to the foulder. Then use the Login Window settings to select your file.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Login Screen Wallpaper[Solved]

Post by darkstrike »

Just curious if you are still having this issue? I am too, so was wondering if it is an issue across Mint as a whole or just a glitch for some folks?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

darkstrike wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:13 pm Just curious if you are still having this issue?
The post was edited (at its bottom) and then marked solved so it appears the OP solved the issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Seems he solved it in a roundabout way, but it's not working properly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”