Hard Disk Partitioning & Setup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Hard Disk Partitioning & Setup

Post by valiantgenomics »

Hello,

Beginner's beginner here.

I noticed that only my SSD drive is recognised/partitioned correctly (it's where Mint's installation files are).

But my HDD drive, albeit being recognised, isn't partitioned. That's probably because during the Mint OS installation, I didn't select the DIY partitioning method.

So I'm being shown that I have only ~198 GB Free Space, when I should have an additional 1 TB of space coming from my HDD disk. Check screenshot below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed GParted as it seemed the best tool for setting up and managing the partitions.

But I'm not sure how to actually set it up correctly. There are SO many options and details, each with who knows what consequences (subtle or major).

I scoured the internet and youtube for tutorials but most are outdated from 2-3 even 6-9 years ago.

Could someone explain what is the correct set up shown in the screenshots below? Am I even along the right tracks?

I created a GPT partition because my Linux Mint installation is UEFI, not legacy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But then the next step shown below is where I'm getting confused:

Any input is highly appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Hard Disk Partitioning & Setup

Post by Cosmo. »

That is 50 KB too much.

To your screenshots: #2 looks good, you can apply.

#3 shows, that you have set (first option) to precede a space before that partition with the size of nearly the whole drive, so only 1 MB (near to nothing) is left.
How many partitions do you want to create? If only one simply set the preceding space to 0.

Besides that: Use only short names and labels without spaces.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:10 am That is 50 KB too much.

To your screenshots: #2 looks good, you can apply.

#3 shows, that you have set (first option) to precede a space before that partition with the size of nearly the whole drive, so only 1 MB (near to nothing) is left.
How many partitions do you want to create? If only one simply set the preceding space to 0.

Besides that: Use only short names and labels without spaces.
Thank you so much for the reply! Yes, I would like to create just 1 partition an use it as "main storage".

Okay, so is this looking better?

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No, the partition is still set to be only 1 MB in size. Now all the not allocated space is behind the micro-partition.

Hint: Enter in the field for free space following the value 0. Now you should find in the new Size field the same value as for maximum size.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:34 am No, the partition is still set to be only 1 MB in size. Now all the not allocated space is behind the micro-partition.

Hint: Enter in the field for free space following the value 0. Now you should find in the new Size field the same value as for maximum size.
Honestly, I re-read your comment 15 times and I'm totally lost. Could you just please simply specify the 3 required values:
  • Free space preceding : (?)
  • New size: (?)
  • Free space following: (?)
Or maybe I got it below? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your time

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes, you got it now.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:09 am Yes, you got it now.
Thanks a lot for that! I just created the partition but the hard disk is still not recognised :cry:

Any ideas?

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Now the new partition must be mounted in your system. Where does not matter.

Use for it the preinstalled tool Disks. Mark the partition, click the gear icon and select the mount options.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:10 am Now the new partition must be mounted in your system. Where does not matter.
Use for it the preinstalled tool Disks. Mark the partition, click the gear icon and select the mount options.
Thanks a ton for that!!! Yeah, I did it and it worked.

The only problem now is that the hard disk is mounted as a "separate device".

Even though I "took ownership" which removed the root access requirement, and later assigned a custom folder/path. i.e. the /home/user folder to mount the drive --> it still stays as a "separate device". And when I click the home folder, it still says that there are only 198 GB of free storage, not 1,198 GB.

MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Your /home is mounted on your /dev/nvmeX <- I suppose. The disk you used to install your system.
Your newly formatted disk no matter what name you gave to its mount point is still a different disk, /dev/sda1.
So when you open a folder on your original home partition, you'll be informed for the actual free size of the disk the folder belongs to.
That's accurate, sensible, useful: if you copy 300GB of data into this folder, any folder in /home/sagatus, you'll find out you can't.
You'll exceed the capacity of your disk.
And that's exactly the information you need to get by your file manager.
Why you want to trick the system into showing a continuous disk space when physically there is not such continuous space?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

An additional drive does not make an existing drive / partition bigger. But you can do this:

For example:
Create in the new drive a folder named pictures.
Create in your home a link to this folder.
If you now click this link, you are in the folder pictures in new drive.
So you store your pictures in the drive with the greater space.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

[/quote]
MiZoG wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:55 pm Your /home is mounted on your /dev/nvmeX <- I suppose. The disk you used to install your system.
Your newly formatted disk no matter what name you gave to its mount point is still a different disk, /dev/sda1.
So when you open a folder on your original home partition, you'll be informed for the actual free size of the disk the folder belongs to.
That's accurate, sensible, useful: if you copy 300GB of data into this folder, any folder in /home/sagatus, you'll find out you can't.
You'll exceed the capacity of your disk.
And that's exactly the information you need to get by your file manager.
Why you want to trick the system into showing a continuous disk space when physically there is not such continuous space?
Thanks a lot for explaining! I'm not trying to trick the system, I actually got confused because I installed Mint on my older machine which has only 1 large hard disk and it was showing a lot of space under the home folder.

But since my new laptop has 2 hard disks, I realise now it will obviously show separate storage limits.

The other thing that confused me was that the 2nd hard disk is listed under "My Devices" almost as if it's an external/removable hard drive.
Cosmo. wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:14 pm An additional drive does not make an existing drive / partition bigger. But you can do this:

For example:
Create in the new drive a folder named pictures.
Create in your home a link to this folder.
If you now click this link, you are in the folder pictures in new drive.
So you store your pictures in the drive with the greater space.
That's another fantastic suggestion! Thanks a ton, you guys are awesome!

Return to “Beginner Questions”