File Manager Shortcut

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

File Manager Shortcut

Post by valiantgenomics »

A quick question,

What is the command name for the Nemo file manager?

I would like to create a shortcut Alt+F to simply open the file manager.

I tried "thunar" but it didn't work. I tried nemo-file-manager, that didn't work either.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: File Manager Shortcut

Post by Dan-cer »

/usr/bin/nemo
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

valiantgenomics wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:50 am What is the command name for the Nemo file manager?
(...)
I tried "thunar" but it didn't work. I tried nemo-file-manager, that didn't work either.
I´d assume it would be 'nemo' rather than 'thunar´... any specific reason why you did not try 'nemo'? Because that seems to work.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

I tried both 'nemo' and '/usr/bin/nemo'.
And both work.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

valiantgenomics wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:50 am I would like to create a shortcut Alt+F to simply open the file manager.
Not needed, there is already a default shortcut: Super-E.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Besides that:
nemo is in the find path (always). That's why the path must not be written in the command line, but of course it does not hurt, to write the complete path name.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks all!

Moem wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:08 am
valiantgenomics wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:50 am What is the command name for the Nemo file manager?
(...)
I´d assume it would be 'nemo' rather than 'thunar´... any specific reason why you did not try 'nemo'? Because that seems to work.
No specific reason, in fact, my mind didn't even allow me to think for a second that it could be that simple, so I over-complicated it by default :D
Cosmo. wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:36 am Not needed, there is already a default shortcut: Super-E.
Yes, but I have Super+E mapped to something else.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Wouldn't it make more sense, to remap this "something else"?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

In your shortcut command field just tell nemo where you want it to open:
example:
nemo /home/me/Music
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
valiantgenomics
Level 2
Level 2

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:00 am Wouldn't it make more sense, to remap this "something else"?
Yeah, I get what you mean but since I'm creating a very strict logic and hierarchy of shortcuts where the cardinal ones are bound to Super and the ancillary are bound to Alt, Ctr, etc. And I deem opening the file manager an ancillary task, hence the Alt key makes sense to me.
all41 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:23 am In your shortcut command field just tell nemo where you want it to open:
example:
nemo /home/me/Music
Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to “Beginner Questions”