Stuck in emergency mode

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rupertpumpkin
Level 1
Level 1

Stuck in emergency mode

Post by rupertpumpkin »

Hi, I've just tried starting my laptop with Mint Xfce 20.3 and it takes me straight to emergency mode (last time I used laptop everything worked fine). I tried rebooting and going to default mode but it still takes me to emergency mode when trying to boot the system.
So as per instructions I ran that journal command and scrolled through the log to catch any issues highlighte in red and found the following:
systemd-fsck [468] fsck failed with exit status 4
systemd [1] Failed to start File System CHeck on /dev/disk/by-vvid/ac367926-79ef-48c5-a1aa-84e1236b371a

Also saw another line saying: Dependency failed for /home

Have anyone see this issue before? It looks like it's not seeing my home partiton for some reason? Is there anything I can do about this or should I try recovering the system?

Thanks,
Kuba
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Stuck in emergency mode

Post by mikeflan »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Is emergency mode a black screen with a black terminal? Can you post a pic?
Is your home on your OS drive, or another drive/partition?

Please post the output of this in a terminal, assuming you can get to a terminal:

Code: Select all

ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid
And if that does not work:

ls -la /dev/disk
rupertpumpkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rupertpumpkin »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:15 pm Hi and welcome to the forum.
Is emergency mode a black screen with a black terminal? Can you post a pic?
Is your home on your OS drive, or another drive/partition?

Please post the output of this in a terminal, assuming you can get to a terminal:

ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid
And if that does not work:

ls -la /dev/disk
Hi, thanks for the reply!

Yes its a black screen with terminal. I have separate root and home partitions, plus a few more because im running win11 alongside mint.
Attaching the screenshot. Sorry foe the quality but i couldnt upload anytjing larger than 200kb.
Attachments
received_598864961611794.jpeg
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I would do an fsck on the OS drive, which might be nvme0n1p4.
I'm hoping somebody who knows about these things will come along and help you.

Scan a disk with fsck:
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/fsck-command-linux
rupertpumpkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rupertpumpkin »

Hey, I ran fsck for my home partition and there were a few issues that I fixed and now I was able to boot without no issues.

Please could someone take a look to see if that was anything serious?

Also, is there a way to change the partition name (considering I have Windows set up alongside Linux)? For some reason the logic for mine is /dev/nvme0n1px where is is partition nubmer. I would like to change it to dev/sda1, dev/sda2 etc. Is that possible?
Attachments
299487620_601057654757540_3817872900280833235_n-1.jpg
Catsbark
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Catsbark »

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I have will explain this better, but sda and nvme identify the type of storage device the OS is looking at. There are others for DVDs, etc, but you can't change that ID.
Catsbark
Dell Inspiron 15; AMD Ryzen 5; LM 20.3 Cinnamon
"A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rupertpumpkin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:10 pm Hey, I ran fsck for my home partition and there were a few issues that I fixed and now I was able to boot without no issues.

Please could someone take a look to see if that was anything serious?
If it was serious, the repairs would not have been possible.
rupertpumpkin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:10 pmAlso, is there a way to change the partition name (considering I have Windows set up alongside Linux)? For some reason the logic for mine is /dev/nvme0n1px where is is partition nubmer. I would like to change it to dev/sda1, dev/sda2 etc. Is that possible?
As Catsbark has indicated, the logic corresponds to the type of drive. You can not change nvme to sd unless you can change the physical hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”