Changing ownership of mounted DVD drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mahrudet
Level 2
Level 2

Changing ownership of mounted DVD drive

Post by mahrudet »

I have finally learned how to mount a DVD drive in Linux Mint but I must be doing it wrong. So now I have it mounted using "sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /media/dvd". But I have no permissions for the dvd folder. When I try to change permissions, I get the error "Operation not permitted". When I unmount the DVD, the ownership changes to tommy. But when I mount the DVD again, the owner reverts back to root. I'm not doing this correctly but I can't figure out what I need to do. The picture should give the information that you need. Please show me my errors.
Attachments
term.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Changing ownership of mounted DVD drive

Post by Cosmo. »

Try this:

Code: Select all

cd /media
sudo chown tommy:tommy dvd
Or go the easier way and mount the dvd via the graphical tool Disks; this gives you automatically the ownership.
mahrudet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Changing ownership of mounted DVD drive

Post by mahrudet »

The cd /media gave the "Operation not permitted" error.

If I can do it graphically, that's exactly what I would like to do. Just now I launched Disks and took a few minutes to look at it (for the first time ever). It does not seem to be too intuitive but I'll need a little time to study it. Right now I have to log off for a while. Any other instructions about the Disk app, please tell me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”