Stop Chromium Opening Tabs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GeoffTF
Level 2
Level 2

Stop Chromium Opening Tabs

Post by GeoffTF »

When I click on a search result in Chromium, it opens a new tab, rather than just overwriting to tab from which the search was made. I cannot find a setting to disable this behavior. Searching in Google tells me endlessly how to do that in Chrome and Edge, but not in Chromium.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Stop Chromium Opening Tabs

Post by Hoser Rob »

If it works in chrome it should work in chromium too, have you tried it?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
GeoffTF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeoffTF »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:53 am If it works in chrome it should work in chromium too, have you tried it?
I tried searching Google for "stop chromium from opening a new tab when a link is clicked", but could not find an answer that seemed relevant to Chromium. I have this problem on LM 21 Cinnamon with a fresh installation of Chromium. Chromium does not do this on my Raspberry Pi. I cannot see a setting for this on either platform. (I have uBlock Origin on both platforms.) This link suggests that the setting is linked to your Google account:

https://support.google.com/websearch/thread/52630211

Chromium should not require me to have a Google account open.
GeoffTF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeoffTF »

This article says that there is an option that I do not appear to have:

https://techcult.com/fix-chrome-keeps-o ... matically/

I do not have either the Settings link or the Tools link shown in the screen shot.
GeoffTF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeoffTF »

Chromium does have a Settings link on the Raspberry Pi, which gives the option that I want. The Raspberry Pi uses DuckDuckGo as the search engine, rather than Yahoo. I had to use the magnifying glass icon to find the search engine setting. It was well hidden. I changed the search engine to DuckDuckGo, and the Settings link magically appeared, as on the Raspberry Pi. (Google was not offered as an option.) There were then lots of settings, and the open in a new tab option was set to false by default. The menus were all changed, and I cannot now see how the change the search engine back again or to anything else (other than by reinstalling). uBlock Origin is still there. I seem to have fixed the problem, provided that I am happy with DuckDuckGo.
GeoffTF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeoffTF »

Actually, the search engine option is not difficult to find, but it again does not offer Google (or Bing for that matter) as an option.

Return to “Beginner Questions”