How to Access/Copy Files from Hard Drive (Files From Windows 10)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VillageofNewLinux
Level 1
Level 1

How to Access/Copy Files from Hard Drive (Files From Windows 10)

Post by VillageofNewLinux »

I'm pretty new to Linux (got Mint running this morning) and I apologize if this has been asked before (didn't find exactly what I'm looking for in the forums). My laptop will no longer boot Windows, so I'm using Linux Mint 21 - Cinnamon on a bootable USB flashdrive to try to recover files from my PC. I didn't do a very good job of backing up my files from Windows, so I'm hoping Linux can help! I think found the drive I want to access, but I'm not able to mount the drive. Here's what I see when I right-click on it and select mount:

When I look at Disks, I can see the drive but I'm not sure what to do from there:

Here's my probably stupid question, do I need to install Linux on my computer in order to mount the drive (running it from a USB flashdrive currently)? If I install Linux on my computer, will it get rid of all my files from Windows? I'm looking to recover/backup the files in: Documents, Music, Videos, Photos, etc. and hoping those files aren't lost forever.

I greatly appreciate any help anyone is able to provide! I'm happy to provide more information, if needed, as well. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to Access/Copy Files from Hard Drive (Files From Windows 10)

Post by deepakdeshp »

You don't mount a drive but a partition of a drive. You have 4, the majority chunk is unknown partition. The chances of it mounting are low. You may have formtted Windows.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

You have invalid partition table. Don't install anything on this disk until you don't recover your files acting from live USB system. You can start with running test_disk static and repairing partition type.
-=t42=-
VillageofNewLinux
Level 1
Level 1

t42 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:53 pm You have invalid partition table. Don't install anything on this disk until you don't recover your files acting from live USB system. You can start with running test_disk static and repairing partition type.
Would test_disk static and repair be something that I would do in the command prompt, or is that an option in Disks or GParted? I appreciate your help and am very new to Linux...but am liking it so far.

Ideally, I'd like to get the files I need off this thing and install Linux on it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I wonder, if this drive (sda) is encrypted?
VillageofNewLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:23 pm I wonder, if this drive (sda) is encrypted?
I honestly have no idea. I didn't do anything like that to the hard drive while it was strictly a Windows machine, that I can tell you for sure.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

VillageofNewLinux wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:06 pm Would test_disk static and repair be something that I would do in the command prompt, or is that an option in Disks or GParted?
Test disk is started from the terminal and has its own menu driven text interface:
TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity
-=t42=-
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The idea about encryption came into my mind, as I saw the screenshot of Disks. I have no other explanation, why Disks cannot make any sense about the partitions except the size and says even about the partition type "unknown".
VillageofNewLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Gotcha, that does make sense. I'll investigate a little further after work since I'm not able to dive into it at the moment. I really appreciate your help!
VillageofNewLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Just a quick follow up on this. I've removed the hard drive from the laptop and have tried about everything I can to get it to work with no luck. Aside from taking the drive completely apart, I think it's done for. I appreciate everyone's help on this and look forward to doing more with Linux in the future. The quick responses I got from this community were helpful. Thanks again!

Return to “Beginner Questions”