[solved] How to create shorcuts inside folders?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rmlazzari
Level 3
Level 3

[solved] How to create shorcuts inside folders?

Post by rmlazzari »

Hello, I have 2 HDs.

1st. HD: There are the Mint and personal files. In the desktop I have a folder named "LAZER" (leisure, in English). In that folder I have a few folders with movie files (example, in the folder "/home/leda/desktop/LAZER/Jodhaa Akbar - 2008" there is a file named "Jodhaa Akbar.mkv".

2nd. HD: There is a shortcut to this disk in the desktop named "Volume 1000 GB". That disk is auto-mounted when I turn on the computer. In that disk there are lots of folders, sub-folder, sub-sub-folders etc. and inside the last ones, there is video files. Example "/mnt/sdb2/renato/Vídeos/Filmes/Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban - 2004" and inside this folder is the file "Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban.mkv".

I'd like to create a folder inside de folder "LAZER" in the 1st. disk in a way that, when I double-click this folder, I see the 2nd. drive folders.

I've tryied to do that dragging the folder "/mnt/sdb2/renato/Vídeos/Filmes" to "LAZER" folder but it started to copy all folders and files, flooding the 1st. disk. I've tryied to create that shortcut creating a new Laucher but it didn't work, too. I guess this is only to use with applications... I've tryied to drag'n'drop while holding Shit-Ctrl but this also didn't work: when I double-click the new icon, it says to me that there is a broken link...

- "Would you like to remove this broken link?"
- "Yes, please."

Could you please help me with that?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop: Mint 21/Cinnamon 5.8.4/Base Ubuntu 22.04 jammy/Kernel: 5.15.0-94/Core i3-2328M/RAM 3.7GiB/HD:500GB
Desktop: Mint 21/Cinnamon 5.8.4/Base Ubuntu 22.04 jammy/Kernel: 5.15.0-94/Core i5-3470 CPU/RAM 3.7GiB/HD1:500GB/HD2:1TB
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to create shorcuts inside folders?

Post by deck_luck »

In XFCE and I assume Cinnamon, you can right click a folder in your file browser to Create a Link. You can move the symbolic link to any other folder to create a quick access reference to the folder by click the symbolic link.

I did not find a file browser way to create a link for a simple file. However, you make a symbolic link from a terminal session using the ln -s command and specifying the full path name for the target. If you need additional help with the terminal session please reply indicating the help you desire.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The minimum information for near to every question is the Version of Mint and the desktop.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Hi byline now reads:
Mint 21/Cinnamon 5.4.9/Base Ubuntu 22.04 jammy/Kernel: 5.15.0-43
rmlazzari
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rmlazzari »

Thank you all!

Actually Cinnamon's default file browser - Nemo - as far as my little knowledge can see, doesn't have the option "Crete Link". But as deck_luck said about XFCE, I've tried with that "flavor"s file browser, Caja, and it worked fine. With Caja there is the option "Create Link" with right-click. It creates the link in the desktop but you can copy (move, perhaps...) created link link to any folder.

Thank you again.
Laptop: Mint 21/Cinnamon 5.8.4/Base Ubuntu 22.04 jammy/Kernel: 5.15.0-94/Core i3-2328M/RAM 3.7GiB/HD:500GB
Desktop: Mint 21/Cinnamon 5.8.4/Base Ubuntu 22.04 jammy/Kernel: 5.15.0-94/Core i5-3470 CPU/RAM 3.7GiB/HD1:500GB/HD2:1TB
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

It is possible, I do the same. I have 3 drives, 2 additional drives are auto mounted on startup and within my home folder are links that lead to them. E.g. If I go to /home/me/Videos/Videos/ I'm looking in a folder called Videos on my other drive.

It sounds like you want to essentially do the same.

I assume you're running LM Cinnamon.
Open two Nemo (file manager) windows. Open one to /home/leda/desktop/LAZER and the other to /mnt/sdb2/renato/

On the /mnt/sdb2 drive you should click and drag it to your other nemo window into your LAZER folder, but while you're doing this hold down ctrl + shift.
This will create a link file (shortcut).

The other way to do it is via command line:

Code: Select all

ln -s /mnt/sdb2/renato/Vídeos/Filmes /home/leda/desktop/LAZER/Filmes
Assuming you posted the correct file paths in your post (case-sensitive, etc) then that should work. Otherwise, amend those paths in my command to what they should be and try again.
The command will create a symbolic link (This may not work if the filesystem of your other drive is not a Linux file system, let us know if that is the case).

A symbolic link serves a similar function to a Windows "shortcut".
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [solved] How to create shorcuts inside folders?

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding Cinnamon / Nemo: Press ctrl-m and be surprised. You might also take a look into the edit menu. :wink:
rmlazzari
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rmlazzari »

Thank you a lot, buddies!

And I guess it should be another topic 'cause it could be a little off topic matter - if that is right, please advice me - but... is there a way to enable a trash can in the auto-mounted drive as there is in the 1st. HD?

(After migrating from Windows, I took a while to be familiar with sending files directly to outer-space, hehe... With Mint you have to explicit send files to trash, if you type DEL key... Bye, bye. But now it became normal to me to think 3 times - before the 3 first times - before typing that DEL key. Even I'd like to have the resource "Trash Can" to the 2nd. HD, if it's possible.)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You are right, this deserves a new thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”