'Insufficient permissions'

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timawmack
Level 1
Level 1

'Insufficient permissions'

Post by timawmack »

Can anybody help me to overcome this error message given when I try to download anything?
I am the sole user of my computer and am set up as the administrator?
Very frustrating.
Many thanks in advance!
Tim
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 'Insufficient permissions'

Post by Cosmo. »

Some more description is needed. At first at least the version of Mint and the desktop, than the used browser and a detailed description of the problem. For downloading anything there are no permission needed, except you want to store it on an unusual place.
timawmack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timawmack »

Thanks Cosmo!
I am trying to download the control board from a German manufacturer of 'home power line' adapters for networking called 'COCKPIT' the company is a well known brand DEVOLO.
The app is available for Linux as well as Windows and O/S
I am using Chromium, and the program appears to go through the download stage, but when it comes to activating the install stage, I get the error massage 'Insufficient permissions'
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Coggy »

My guess is that you are trying to download it to a location outside of your home folder (/home/$USER). The browser will not be allowed to do that.
Download the file to your normal Downloads folder. Then if you really need to move it somewhere else you can, but if you are copying it to somewhere other than your home folder you will need to prefix your command with sudo (equivalent to Windows' Run as Administrator), e.g. perhaps:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /opt/devolo
sudo cp Downloads/devolo-installer /opt/devolo
As a general rule, you will need to use sudo every time you make changes outside of your home folder (the devolo installer probably does). Sudo will ask you for your password, and if you are an administrator, will run the command you ask. Sudo (in the same terminal) won't ask your password again for a while, so you don't have to keep typing it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

timawmack wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:50 am when it comes to activating the install stage, I get the error massage 'Insufficient permissions'
This is something quite different to "download anything", as you wrote in the starting post.

There should be installation instructions from the manufacturer. Further more I assume, that you paid for the product and so you should get help by them.
timawmack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timawmack »

Many thanks Coggy.
You have at least got me half way there! I was trying to download to the download file which I think was the problem as I tried downloading to 'Home' and it started the download straight away!
However, after a lengthy download, I have received another error message at completion which I cannot make any sense of.....? It seems the file I was downloading contain letters that were not recognizable...?
Time for more research!!
Tim
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Coggy »

timawmack wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:05 am However, after a lengthy download, I have received another error message at completion which I cannot make any sense of.....? It seems the file I was downloading contain letters that were not recognizable...?
Without seeing the error message, I don't think we can help with that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”