GPU: some question about them

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PinguinoMentolato
Level 1
Level 1

GPU: some question about them

Post by PinguinoMentolato »

Hi,

ii have a question regarding the GPU of my system.

Actually i'm on a nVidia 1050TI but on my system is integrated into the CPU a Vega 8 GPU.

Do you think that i can sell the 1050TI or it's better to stay with it because it increase the longevity of my system?

I don't play games anymore, but i know that actually GPU can be used from the system to several motivation.

What do you suggest to do?

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: GPU: some question about them

Post by spamegg »

The GPU can be used for other graphically intensive tasks like video editing.

It can also be used for Machine Learning and cryptocurrency mining.

If you don't do any of these (and you don't play games anymore) then you'll be fine without a GPU. I have been living with Ryzen 5 3400 G (and gaming with it!) for 2+ years. It's all good.

I'm not sure if it's worth selling a 1050ti because I'm unaware of the market and the prices. Some people like to keep their GPUs just as a backup, just in case.
PinguinoMentolato
Level 1
Level 1

I don't make video editing... and i don't do machine learning and crypto (with cost of the energy it's fool use a pc!)

But my question is, the OS can have some vantage with the use of a GPU as an accelerator only for 2D desktop and stop?

Gaming with linux i think that is not possible :-(

But i have an xbox s for gaming :-)
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

But my question is, the OS can have some vantage with the use of a GPU as an accelerator only for 2D desktop and stop?
Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean.

I am using Cinnamon with all the graphical effects enabled on Ryzen 5 3400 G, and it performs just fine.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

PinguinoMentolato wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm But my question is, the OS can have some vantage with the use of a GPU as an accelerator only for 2D desktop and stop?

Gaming with linux i think that is not possible :-(

But i have an xbox s for gaming :-)
The Vega 8 graphics are powerful enough to hardware accelerate in 3D the desktop and animation effects.

Gaming with Linux IS 100% possible via Steam, Lutris, PlayOnLinux, WINE and a whole plethora of opensource native linux games too.

It's safe to sell the nvidia card if you aren't using it and will save your electric bill as an added bonus. I can play games with my AMD Athlon 5350's R3 Graphics which is far weaker than your Vega 8 Graphics if you have a Ryzen G series processor. Double check it's not a Ryzen X before selling the card or you will be left without a GPU at all.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
PinguinoMentolato
Level 1
Level 1

My CPU Is a Ryzen 2200G with Vega 8
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Then game ON :mrgreen:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”