[Partially solved] 20.3 Xfce - How do I change the keyboard layout on the user login screen?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

[Partially solved] 20.3 Xfce - How do I change the keyboard layout on the user login screen?

Post by NM64 »

Somehow I seem to have managed to set Xfce's login screen to use Colemak (or maybe it was like that from the beginning from when I selected it during the OS installation?).

But now I want to change the layout to "Dvorak" (it's not actually Dvorak, rather it's a customized version of Colemak but I didn't want to overwrite the stock Colemak config). I'm able to have Mint use my custom not-so-Dvorak once I'm actually logged in, but the login screen is still set to Colemak even after a reboot and only has Colemak when I click on it in the top heading.

Thing is though, I don't want this to be a permanent change though; ideally I'd want it to list both Colemak and my not-so-"Dvorak" so that I can select which one I want.

(I tried making a stand-alone custom layout as well as renaming an existing layout, but none of that seemed to work - the only thing that seemed to work was straight-up changing the key configurations for an existing layout in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/, so that's what I did using Dvorak since its the layout listed directly below Colemak on the keyboard layouts list in Mint 20.3; on Mint 21.x I figure I'd edit the Colemak-DH listing instead)
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
magnus7
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 20.3 Xfce - How do I change the keyboard layout on the user login screen?

Post by magnus7 »

Default layout chosen during installation is used on login screen. To change it run this command in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

That did indeed work, though it seems to have now made the login screen exclusively my not-so-"Dvorak".

I don't supposed there's a way to be able to set things up so that one can change keyboard layouts on the actual login screen between Colemak and my not-so-"Dvorak", or is this something that's just straight-up not possible?
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
bobsled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobsled »

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have the following keyboard layouts
  • Layout: English (UK)
  • Layout: English (UK)
    • Variant: English (UK, Dvorak)
I can switch between them while logged in. However I cannot do that before logging in.
I would like to have the same keyboard layouts and be able to switch between them before logging in.

Any way to do that, preferably a simple way?

Linux Mint 21, Xfce, lightdm display manager (login manager)
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

Lightdm has the keyboard icon on the top bar, even on the liveUSB. Can you use that to enable the layout on the login?
bobsled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobsled »

I got to change the layout following the tutorial from the Arch Linux wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/LightD ... tk-greeter

I ran

localectl set-x11-keymap gb,gb pc105 dvorak,
and the login screen layout has changed, however, when I click on the login screen title bar, keyboard layout button, I don't see a drop down to select one between the two. It would be nice to be able to do that.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

bobsled wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:15 pm when I click on the login screen title bar, keyboard layout button, I don't see a drop down to select one between the two. It would be nice to be able to do that.
I just want to mention that this is what occurs for me as well; rather than it being a menu, it appears to just be a sort of notification of what the currently-active keyboard layout is.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

magnus7 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:03 am Default layout chosen during installation is used on login screen. To change it run this command in terminal:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
One interesting quirk is that simply replacing the "us" keyboard layout file with a modded one makes it apply to the login screen automatically without the need to run the aforementioned terminal command.

...but the "quirk" is that, if you do a ctrl+alt+f2 to to access a fullscreen terminal, your modded keyboard layout will not be active even after a reboot. The only way to apply your custom layout in such a fullscreen-terminal situation is to have previously run the aforementioned terminal command.

Return to “Beginner Questions”