Sound related

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Sound related

Post by rootkowski »

I have been wondering for a while now if it's possible to play sound from more than one app at a time, ie. both amarok and skype or totem?

I actually was able to have sound from both amarok and skype at the same time, but since I upgraded to skype 1.4 it's just a distant memory. I wouldn't like to downgrade though, so if there's no way then bad luck. ;-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Sound related

Post by scorp123 »

rootkowski wrote:I have been wondering for a while now if it's possible to play sound from more than one app at a time
Sure. If you have GNOME all you need are the esd libraries (should be running anyway?). KDE uses arts.

sudo apt-get install libesd0 .... or something like that.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Hmm, that's a tricky one, because when I enable ESD Skype stops working (no sound in, nor out). I was out for help on skype's forum and the only solution they could come up with was to disable ESD. Maybe I should nag on them a bit more then. :-)

Edit (11 JUL):
Yesterday I wasn't able to give a more complete answer, sorry. Now I checked with synaptic and I have libesd-alsa0 installed. Should I still install libesd0 and the dev package too?
With ESD enabled and running and amarok running I cannot play anything in Totem. It simply freezes. I haven't tried other apps though.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The solution I used for Skype in Bianca (not installed it in Cassandra yet) was to use an USB headset for skype and so be independent of the sound system. I needed a mic anyway...
Not expensive

Return to “Beginner Questions”