Issue with shortcuts

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Issue with shortcuts

Post by Linux Horse »

Hello,
Lately I've been having some issues related to shortcuts (I think) on Mint Cinnamon 21.
Suddenly, certain keys stop being able to type the letter on them (like Q, P, L...) and instead they activate various windows. For example, L brings up some "Merge" window, O switches between screen rotation on and off, the left arrow when pressed pushes the browser to take 50% of the screen (vertically), etc...
When this happens, I cannot use these letters. This is not only frustrating, but also dangerous, as if my PC locks I may not be able to type my password!
I've noticed this tends to happen in the evening when I connect the TV screen to the PC and have to press fn+f8 three times to get to the mirroring option for the screen. The issue lasts a while after that and then goes away. I'm not sure if I did anything for it to go away (I was trying), or is it at random.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Issue with shortcuts

Post by Cosmo. »

Open Users & Groups and create a new account for testing. Reboot and log in there. Do no changes in the test account. Same problem there?
Linux Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Horse »

I did what you said, but I don't know how to log in using the new test account. It sounds silly, but when I restart the PC it doesn't ask me which account I want to log in to. Maybe there is another way, but in the meantime I realised the problem comes when plugging the HDMI to the TV screen indeed. There are 4 options - to extend the PC screen onto the TV (i.e. you have to move what you want to see from the PC to the TV), PC screen is black and everything is shown on the TV, TV is black and everything is shown on the PC OR (my favourite, but the one that generates the issues) both PC and TV screens display what's on the PC. This creates the issue, but not always. The other ways of display do not create the issue.

Could there be a problem with a driver?

The sound also does not automatically go through the TV screen, it comes from the PC. So I have to open the sound settings and click on HDMI. Then sometimes, after unplugging the HDMI the sound does not automatically revert back to PC - it just doesn't work until I go into the sound settings again and click on PC.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

No proof but your weird situation sounds like a keyboard problem to me, with some modifier key temporarily stuck in a "pressed" condition in the eye of computer. I would first try to attach an external keyboard and see if the bug can be circumvented.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Linux Horse wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:41 am I did what you said, but I don't know how to log in using the new test account. It sounds silly, but when I restart the PC it doesn't ask me which account I want to log in to.
Most likely you have set the system to login automatically. You can switch this off in the login screen settings of the system.
Or try this: Click in the menu the icon to log out. This gives a dialog, where you can select to really log out or to switch user. Select to switch user and you get into the login screen screen.
Linux Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Horse »

Hi Cosmo,
I tried using the test account to do the screen mirroring. So far it's working.
If we presume that will will continue working and not give the same problem as with my personal account, what do you think is the problem then? What could it be related to, so I can hopefully fix it on my personal log in and not have to use the test account anymore?
Thanks!
Linux Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Horse »

To anyone reading my post... it is not solved yet :(

I've been using the test account when connecting to the screen, but this too started producing the same problem. It is like a ticking bomb - it gets activated after a few months of use of each account.

Any ideas?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

See billy's post above. Can you test with an external keyboard?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

mikeflan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:19 pm See billy's post above. Can you test with an external keyboard?
+1
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Linux Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Horse »

mikeflan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:19 pm See billy's post above. Can you test with an external keyboard?
Nope. Sadly I don't have an external keyboard.
But why would it be the keyboard, if it worked and then a few months later it stopped?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Linux Horse wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:53 pm Nope. Sadly I don't have an external keyboard.
But why would it be the keyboard, if it worked and then a few months later it stopped?
Not sure why either. But at the moment, a stop gap solution is using the pre-installed "Onboard" or "Virtual keyboard". Before you buy / borrow an external keyboard, an onscreen keyboard may workaround those failed keys.
Linux Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Horse »

I'm not sure what that means: "But at the moment, a stop gap solution is using the pre-installed "Onboard" or "Virtual keyboard""?
What is a "stop gap solution"?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Linux Horse wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:06 am I'm not sure what that means: "But at the moment, a stop gap solution is using the pre-installed "Onboard" or "Virtual keyboard""?
What is a "stop gap solution"?
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... sh/stopgap
Alright, the grammatically correct wording is "stopgap measure".
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

Linux Horse wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:33 am Hello,
Lately I've been having some issues related to shortcuts (I think) on Mint Cinnamon 21.
Suddenly, certain keys stop being able to type the letter on them (like Q, P, L...) and instead they activate various windows. For example, L brings up some "Merge" window, O switches between screen rotation on and off, the left arrow when pressed pushes the browser to take 50% of the screen (vertically), etc...
When this happens, I cannot use these letters. This is not only frustrating, but also dangerous, as if my PC locks I may not be able to type my password!
I've noticed this tends to happen in the evening when I connect the TV screen to the PC and have to press fn+f8 three times to get to the mirroring option for the screen. The issue lasts a while after that and then goes away. I'm not sure if I did anything for it to go away (I was trying), or is it at random.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sounds a lot like one of those "Accessibility" things (e.g. sticky-keys) locking to the "on" state.
Linux Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Horse »

[/quote]

Sounds a lot like one of those "Accessibility" things (e.g. sticky-keys) locking to the "on" state.
[/quote]

Yes, it does! But how can I fix it?
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

Check the "Accessibility" settings ? Honestly I've never used them (nor do I have a 21.x Cinnamon to hand), so somewhat "uncharted territory" for me...
Linux Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux Horse »

djph wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:48 pm Check the "Accessibility" settings ? Honestly I've never used them (nor do I have a 21.x Cinnamon to hand), so somewhat "uncharted territory" for me...
I have. Everything is off, apart from the Mouse controls.

Return to “Beginner Questions”