CTRL+V not working when saving an image

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ovisergiu
Level 3
Level 3

CTRL+V not working when saving an image

Post by ovisergiu »

Hello,
I don't know how could I let the Linux Mint team to fix this incovenient.
Or should I let the Google Chrome team?
You decide.

I am using Google Chrome, and no matter what website I visit, if I want to save an image from any website (right click the image - Save as/Save image as) a window pops-up poiting me to one of my computer locations.
In this window, I can see the image's original filename:

In the past I could always use the CTRL+V (when that window popped-up) to paste over the original filename (having previously copied some other name).
This CTRL+V does not work anymore, but righ clicking the filename, shows me Paste is available, and choosing that Paste works (but since I am a keyboard guy, I need to use CTRL+V via keyboard):
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
(MAIN) PC: LM 21 Cinnamon, x64, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @3.40 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD
(Occasionally): Emachines e725 laptop: 3 GB RAM, Dual core Pentium T4500 (-MCP-) cache:1024 KB, Graphic Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: CTRL+V not working when saving an image

Post by AZgl1800 »

I never use Chrome, but that is a problem inside the OS, not Chrome.

and it is not stable in how it works,
I have found that if you use the Mouse to "copy" text, Control-V does not work, you must use Right Click Paste
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

This has nothing to do with Mint or Chrome. It has to do with how weird and unintuitive GTK file dialogs are. People have complained about this for years. In the last year I've seen about 10 different posts complaining about it (in slightly different ways). Not much Mint devs can do about it, it's upstream. GTK is so pervasively common in the Linux GUI world.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

spamegg wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:39 pm This has nothing to do with Mint or Chrome. It has to do with how weird and unintuitive GTK file dialogs are. People have complained about this for years. In the last year I've seen about 10 different posts complaining about it (in slightly different ways). Not much Mint devs can do about it, it's upstream. GTK is so pervasively common in the Linux GUI world.
Thank you for that info, I know that it is extremely Frustrating.
I name a file, and switch to a new Directory and the Filename disappears and the Directory Name is substituted instead :evil: :evil:

This forces me to mouse up to the Filename, and Type it again.... argh!!!! :x :x
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Strange. Such bug doesn't occur in my computer. Both Firefox and Chromium are tested and the Ctrl+V work. Keyboard copy to keyboard paste, mouse copy to keyboard paste, everything stays working.
(i am running LM 21.0 Mate)
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:01 pm Thank you for that info, I know that it is extremely Frustrating.
I name a file, and switch to a new Directory and the Filename disappears and the Directory Name is substituted instead :evil: :evil:

This forces me to mouse up to the Filename, and Type it again.... argh!!!! :x :x
This also doesn't happen in my LM 21.0 computer. Maybe it's time for you guys to upgrade :D
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

billyswong wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:27 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:01 pm Thank you for that info, I know that it is extremely Frustrating.

This also doesn't happen in my LM 21.0 computer. Maybe it's time for you guys to upgrade :D
I am going to "downgrade to an older laptop" and put LM21 on it :wink:
this one is going bonkers way toooo fast. :|

Return to “Beginner Questions”