[SOLVED] Have Nemo only temporarily show hidden files, or have Nemo always default to not show hidden files?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Have Nemo only temporarily show hidden files, or have Nemo always default to not show hidden files?

Post by NM64 »

The script(?) by smurphos to make Nemo's location bar always default to breadcrumbs mode when Nemo is opened works great for my use-case, and I'm wondering if a similar thing couldn't also be done for Nemo's "Show hidden files" setting?

So basically what I'm looking for is for Nemo to simply always default to not showing hidden files without straight-up locking/disabling the setting to show hidden files, effectively turning the "Show hidden files" setting into a temporary one rather than a persistent one.

It'd also be great if this could apply to not just the normal "folder" view but also the the "browse/open//save as" file view which seems to have a completely independent "Show hidden files" setting (actually this independence might be something considered a "bug").
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Have Nemo only temporarily show hidden files, or havin Nemo always default to not show hidden files?

Post by all41 »

In Nemo toolbar Edit/Preferences/Behavior tab choose
Ignore per-folder view preferences. Does that help?
edit:
no, I see now that it will not.

edit:
you can also start Nemo like this:

dconf write /org/nemo/preferences/show-hidden-files false && nemo /home/MM64
use correct path if not MM64

That will reset the hidden files to off when Nemo is started.

To automate make a new document somewhere and give it a name (such as nohidden).
Copy the following contents into the document:

#!/bin/bash
dconf write /org/nemo/preferences/show-hidden-files false && nemo /home/MM64

again use your username
Make the file executable (right-click on Properties/Permissions)
Finally you can right-click the 'Files' icon on the panel and choose edit, click the Browse button and point to that file
to launch Nemo without hidden files even if they were previously set.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Have Nemo only temporarily show hidden files, or have Nemo always default to not show hidden files?

Post by NM64 »

I don't suppose you have a similar thing but for Thunar on Xfce as well?

all41 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:06 pmdconf write /org/nemo/preferences/show-hidden-files false
Apologies for the delayed response - I got the mail notification of your post and viewed your post before you had made any edits (protip from a chronic editor: if making major edits, sometimes it's better to delete the post and then re-post it but with the major edits so that people get notified of a new post)

Anyway, I find that a more elegant solution is to put your above-quoted terminal command (removing everything after "false") into Mint's startup settings so that it's just ran every single time you boot. While it's not as good as resetting whenever you open a new Nemo instance, having it reset every time you log in on your PC is the next best thing.

In particular, your method of using a script and/or desktop launcher isn't practical for me due to having folders and shortcuts to folders on the desktop, in particular a shortcut to /home/<user>/Documents on the desktop so that files can be dragged & dropped into Documents without actually opening the folder first (I discovered this the hard way a couple of days ago when I just had a launcher pointing to Documents on the desktop instead - that causes file drag & drop to not function correctly as it's basically treated as opening the dragged file inside of the linked program, Nemo in this case)

Oh and psst, my username is NM64, not the acronym for Majora's Mask 64 (it originally stood for "nintendo maniac 64" before I decided to reduce the "hail corporate" and generally just simplifying it to my preferred shorthand and preventing people from calling me "nm" instead which I find confusing as some people use "nm" instaed of "nvm" for "nevermind"). That being said, you're not the first to mess it up - I've previously been called "N64" (I assure you, I am a person, not a game console).
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Have Nemo only temporarily show hidden files, or have Nemo always default to not show hidden files?

Post by all41 »

NM64 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:47 pm I don't suppose you have a similar thing but for Thunar on Xfce as well?

all41 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:06 pmdconf write /org/nemo/preferences/show-hidden-files false
Apologies for the delayed response - I got the mail notification of your post and viewed your post before you had made any edits (protip from a chronic editor: if making major edits, sometimes it's better to delete the post and then re-post it but with the major edits so that people get notified of a new post)

Anyway, I find that a more elegant solution is to put your above-quoted terminal command (removing everything after "false") into Mint's startup settings so that it's just ran every single time you boot. While it's not as good as resetting whenever you open a new Nemo instance, having it reset every time you log in on your PC is the next best thing.

In particular, your method of using a script and/or desktop launcher isn't practical for me due to having folders and shortcuts to folders on the desktop, in particular a shortcut to /home/<user>/Documents on the desktop so that files can be dragged & dropped into Documents without actually opening the folder first (I discovered this the hard way a couple of days ago when I just had a launcher pointing to Documents on the desktop instead - that causes file drag & drop to not function correctly as it's basically treated as opening the dragged file inside of the linked program, Nemo in this case)

Oh and psst, my username is NM64, not the acronym for Majora's Mask 64 (it originally stood for "nintendo maniac 64" before I decided to reduce the "hail corporate" and generally just simplifying it to my preferred shorthand and preventing people from calling me "nm" instead which I find confusing as some people use "nm" instaed of "nvm" for "nevermind"). That being said, you're not the first to mess it up - I've previously been called "N64" (I assure you, I am a person, not a game console).
Got that---my id, all41 often gets hammered as well.
I am inelegant with Nemo
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”