Changing Date format

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Changing Date format

Post by Kurt3162 »

I want to change how the date is displayed, but the "Language Settings"/"Time Format" app doesn't work as expected, and there is no "custom" setting. :(
I'd like to have the dates shown as %d/%m/%y throughout the system, but only the calendar applet has a "custom" setting. How can I change the rest?

Did I miss something?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Changing Date format

Post by RollyShed »

Kurt3162 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:37 pmI'd like to have the dates shown as %d/%m/%y throughout the system, but only the calendar applet has a "custom" setting. How can I change the rest?
If what you want is what I do, right click on the date, bottom right.

Left click on Configure.

Switch "Use a custom date format" to ON

Below that, the date format. I cut and paste the %B to be after the %A,

If you want seconds, add :%S after %H:%M
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

An

Post by Kurt3162 »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:01 pm If what you want is what I do, right click on the date, bottom right.
You mean the calendar applet? Yes, I did configure that one, but I'd like the whole system to be like that (for instance, when I type date in a terminal).
Right now Mint insists on giving me everywhere the full weekday and spell the month out. I know the name of the months, thank you very much, I just want to see three double digits: dd/mm/yy... :roll:

And I know it's the date format's fault since I tried a different locale for the time/date setting, and as a result my dates are in a different language than the rest... Which I wouldn't mind if they weren't that verbose.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

that might give some satisfaction: https://askubuntu.com/a/1064855
the given example is:

Code: Select all

# grep date_fmt /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US
date_fmt "%F %Z"
# env LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 date
2018-08-13 JST
# date
Mon Aug 13 15:25:14 JST 2018
# sed -i 's/date_fmt.*/date_fmt "%Y"/' /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US
# locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
# env LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 date
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kurt3162 »

zcot wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:26 pm that might give some satisfaction: https://askubuntu.com/a/1064855
Thanks, I'll try that out this weekend. I hesitate to edit system files, I'm no Linux whizz, just an average user, and I definitely don't need a broken system right now... :shock:

That been said, looking in /usr/share/i18n/locales I see 362 different locale definitions, yet Mint Cinnamon's "Date&Time" applet only offers me a handful to chose from. How do I tell it to be less stingy? I could make my very own locale (copying and editing the nearest original one) and use that...
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

What Mint version are you using? -so we can positively confirm the exact setup/end-result.

We can come up with a painless, safe, easy way for you to do it.
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kurt3162 »

zcot wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:12 am What Mint version are you using?
Mint 21 Cinnamon.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I hesitate to edit system files, I'm no Linux whizz, just an average user, and I definitely don't need a broken system right now... :shock:
Your caution is a good thing, but don't be afraid to tinker IF you are comfy making consistent backups. Do Timeshift snapshot backup to a separately targeted physical drive.

** optional but encouraged** = Foxclone system image backup/clone to a drive that is big enough/same physical size

Timeshift has saved my bacon more times than I could count and ensure I do regular time shift backups at least once a month and a foxclone system image clone at least once every 90 to 120 ish days.

Once you have that down, your fear of trying something near will be justifiably diminished. ;)

The dev for Foxclone ( AndyMH ) is an active forum member here and is often fairly fast to respond and is quite helpful.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kurt3162 »

motoryzen wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:35 pm making consistent backups.
I do (even more so since I don't trust those newfangled SSDs (get off my lawn already!...) :roll:)
What I lack is the time to fix stuff which was unnecessarily broken. In a month or two I'll maybe have more time to tinker, but for now it just has to work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”